Reply To: Nelson – Tasman – Marlborough Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Nelson – Tasman – Marlborough Rides Reply To: Nelson – Tasman – Marlborough Rides

ajgreen
Participant
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS

Hi ya Peter.

Depends really where you start. But earlier this year the fam done a trip ex Blenheim down the Molesworth to Acheron Campground.

From there the next day we went up and over Jollies Pass into Hamner, and then back out later in the day of the Jacks Pass. We then drove up past the St James before pitching the tent at Lake Tennyson. Lake Tennyson is a great little spot, slightly exposed but beaut views up the lake and into the mountains.

The final day we traveled from Lake Tennyson via the Rainbow Valley to St Arnald, and home to Blenheim. The Rainbow Valley is a great road with plenty of scenic variety.

The roads are generally good. They were when we traveled. Not too many ruts and corrugations. The Molesworth only has a couple of fords, and the rainbox maybe half a dozen. Non were more than 12 inches deep, and generally had a good base. No mud.

Certainly a great trip. I’m looking forward to doing it this summer on my R1200GS.

Good luck. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Allister

Blenheim