Reply To: Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Wellington – Wairarapa Rides Reply To: Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

Box.a.Bits
Participant
  • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

OCEAN BEACH – SATURDAY 31ST DEC:
Given this was the last fine day available this holiday period (& the last ride day of the year), I thought I’d advertise & see who wanted to get out & about. Given Gus has only recently been up & running, I was keen on a more challenging ride, but wasn’t too fussed one way or another. I had a backup plan if no one showed.

As it transpired, Viferpilot was keen, albeit his suggested ride possibly didn’t gel well with his TKC70 shod F800GS. So we did Ocean Beach instead. I hadn’t been there for while & Viferpilot had never done it, so wins all round. Also, this was a ‘time limited’ outing for him, so a short ride was better than my initial suggestion.

Fine day but the wind did get up later in the day.

The slip face has moved & the track has been recut along it.

The sandy section leading the gate may have caused an issue. It’s all a confidence trick anyway.

Viferpilot headed back home, while I was initially headed for Ngawi. But a bad attack of the can’t be bothered struck & it seemed a much better bet to try for mushrooms (fail) or coffee in Martinborough (win).

The Rimutaka’s were probably about as gusty as I feel comfortable with, not helped by a very slow Commodore V6 idling up the windiest section.

Discovered another coffee at a friends house at Whitby. Sat in the sun, & helped him avoid installing a new carport roof, & all was good in the world.