Reply To: Another R80 sidecar build

Forums Forums Sidecars Sidecar Builds Another R80 sidecar build Reply To: Another R80 sidecar build

Box.a.Bits
Participant
  • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

I look for non directional tyres. The TW18 falls into this category, as does the Shinko SR244. Colemans in Akld (& a vendor in the Wairarapa – but he’s moved on) were selling the TW18’s – might be worth a call.

Both the TW18 & SR244 are technically rear tyres.

I also tried a Golden Boy SR244 clone – but I prefer the TW18s as they have wet weather more grip (the Golden Boys were ‘interesting’ in the wet). Dry weather & off road there didn’t seem to be anything in it

A less aggressive (front only) tyre which I have used before (& that was recommended to me by others in the sidecar community) is the Mitas H06. That’s circa $100 – 120.

I also given a a Metzler 18×400 Block K Sidecar tyre to try. That was too tall for the brake line & front guard set up that I had at the time. The square section dedicated sidecar tyres are supposed to improve / reduce steering effort but note that I was given the tyre because the prior owner didn’t like grip level though, & preferred the Mitas H06.