Another R80 sidecar build

Forums Forums Sidecars Sidecar Builds Another R80 sidecar build

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Box.a.Bits 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

saltyseal
    Participant
    • Bike: 91 BMW R80S Mono

Thanks B.a.B
    No problem with the chair getting light – I’d put 40Kg of water containers in the chair.
    VERY heavy steering and a low speed wobble caught me out a little though.
    Just finished taking off the fairing – just don’t really like the look of it. Wide bars ready to go on next weekend.
    Cheers

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Sidecar wheel lead might contribute to the low speed wobble. Also tweaking the steering head bearing up a bit tighter than you’d normally run on a solo may help a bit.

Mine runs straight & doesn’t wobble at all, so it is possible to tune it out.

You can use the drive & brakes to drive around the heavy steering. However even with less trail, mine still beats me up going over the Rimutaka (though I don’t go slow).

saltyseal
    Participant
    • Bike: 91 BMW R80S Mono

Wider bars fitted and the headlamp fairing removed – looking better.
    Reduced the toe-in from around 60mm to 20mm, and what a difference.
    I must have mis-measured the first time, because I was sure I had it at around 20mm originally. Lean-out is good, and the unit tracks straight and true. Still very heavy steering, and a little heavier left than right. I guess a little more adjustment of the toe-in to around 15mm will take care of that.
    Must improve the brakes next.

“She Who Shall be Obeyed” is loving it in the chair, so it’s all good.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

It looks good. @stephen-clark, how hard would it be for an engineer replicate your upper fork clamp?

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Anything can be replicated. The dimensions are in the original build.

Whilst those triples prove the concept, & I am totally confident in them, it would be better to get Ken Howe or another engineer to make up the triple plate & ease the bottom clamp to the appropriate rake.

Any discussion of ‘easing’ (bending) cast ali triples to fit a different rake could cause issues come compliance time.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I would have thought filling the existing clamps and re boring them at the appropriate angle might have been better than bending?

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Triples can be heated & bent to accomodate. It is really a question of knowing the appropriate temp to heat them to & what the cooling process should be in order to not lose temper. The change in rake is only 3 degrees, so not a heap in the scheme of things. Ken is able to do this.

He has straightened bent triples using the same process.

He has fitted a set of K100 forks to Jakes old Depnr & will rake those out 5 degrees to replicate the Ural triples.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.