Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, News, Discussion, and more!

Vector logo for Auckland, black decorative road sign with illustration of famous auckland city scape on dusk sky background, tourist fridge magnet with unique letters for words auckland, new zealand.

Going for a ride from Auckland? Post your plans here so other local riders can join in.

To get a notification every time someone posts in this thread press the subscribe button at the top of the first post on the page.

210 thoughts on “Auckland Rides

1. Very good instructional video, thanks. I normally plan my ride in just the standard google maps on the pc and send the link to my phone, rather than using the my maps feature. That does have it’s limitations though as for a long ride or many detours I have to split into sections as you can only add several way points. Although an advantage of this is it integrates straight into the google maps app on the phone that I use as the gps/logger for my rides. Is there an easy way to get the .gpx/.kmz file to work with the driving feature on the google maps phone apps?

2. Since we have less riding and more time to burn, I have created a short video on how to create and share riding plans.
    I do planning in this way for a number of reasons. Without any particular order:

-Just throwing in a few road names or general destinations is not really helping. At least for me.
    -We ride differently and having a planned route is helping everyone to get to the destination even if the group breaks up, and no one will miss the highlights of the ride.
    -“Driving directions” are prone to change unintentionally. An imported GPX track will always remain the same independently from the user, the device, and other factors like actual traffic.
    -To do ride planning in this way, you don’t need special software. It is available on-line and will work on most platforms from tablets to desktop computers.
    -Using “driving directions” for planning will help to get only on roads that are public and rideable. Less likely you will end up in front of a locked gate.
    -It is free.

If you feel so, create a ride in the greater Auckland area and we can ride it as part of the KLR Ramblers rides once the lock-down is over. Make the ride something between 150km and 400km, and a loop is preferred.

The original article can be found here: https://klrramblers.wordpress.com/2020/04/04/planning/

A big thank you for Oldbeer and Anton to help with the creation of this video.

3. Eddies Big Day Out
    We are getting together this Sunday to farewell ADV Rider NZ founder Edward Brodie as He and His family head off on their big OE, though we might open invitation up to any near by who may want to join us.
    Plan is to ride From Z Waiuku at 11am to a local paper road, ride or watch others tip their bikes over on it, then down to beach and take a brief look, if you’re afraid of sand don’t worry normal cars drive on it, Then head back to mine to do ADV ride skill course in the back yard, (or watch or con me ride on a mini bike) Swim in the Pool if you have bought appropriate wear (no speedo’s or undies 🙂 ) Eat some sausages in bread and take a 5min look at the Garage Bike museum.
    Please give an indication if your coming so I know how many sausages to buy and how many to wait for at Gas station 🙂

4. Looks like a great route. Please report back if you can make it through the Kaikohe paper Rd AKA Waima River Rd. Was looking at this but ran out of time last I was up there. Google street view shows what looks to be a locked gate at Old Mill Road end. Also @eddieb was looking for a track log/photos of Waimatenui E Road or Twin Bridges-Donnellys Crossing etc.

5. Woohoo, might finally make one of your camping trips!!
    I’ll probably go up there during the day and see you there.

Cheers for organising!!

6. Would anyone be keen on heading out for a Gravel blat to Whatipu around lunchtime tomoorow (Sun,) maybe Anawhata too if going good for time? Leaner friendly ride. If there’s interest i’ll knock something together, otherwise ill just head out when i get the chance 🙂

7. Last minute announcement for Moroccan sand adventure, Meet 9;15am tomorrow at the usual, you will need proper tires if you want to do any of this, We will run up the beach and stop at the wreck for some who want to site see but its the usual you’ll need a budy if you want to run your own pace
    (meet at the beach end of Coast Rd past the Golf course (Tide is low at 10:16)
    This will not be a slowest of rides and we plan to run up to the end of the beach 50km’s,) as well as other stuff
    If you have lesser tires that will be ok for the beach but not much else so plan to split with us at some stage.

Disclaimer, Remember these are private rides only and casual so you need to take full responsibility for yourself (obviously 🙂 )

8. You were too quick picking up the bike for me to snap a photo Joao 😛 This was as close as I got, and a couple of action shots. Can give you link to the vids if wanted

9. @Badjelly said:
    Me too, but I won’t be trying to keep up.

From the sounds of things there may be two groups and we are going to have meet up points along the way
    Was thinking we should have a buddy system where we join with another rider as team and look after each other

10. @Mark Claasen said:
    That will be great Joao haven’t caught up for ages bro

True, looking forward to it.

@badgelly No need to worry mate, we have about 3 hours of rideable beach to go and get back plenty of time.

11. Mid Winter Christmas Ride Muriwai
    This Saturday 23rd Meet 11am at the beach end of Coast Rd past the Golf course
    This will not be a slow ride and I plan to run up to the end of the beach 50km’s,
    If you want to go slower bring a mate and we can have meet up points.

12. Well I had a blast… Lots of roads ridden, mostly gravel (once I got up there) and virtually no traffic. Beautiful winter afternoon sunlight, native bush, lovely gravel roads, who could ask for more?? Me!!, I’m going back!!

Leave a Reply