Topic: BMW Fixed front fork staunchion failures | | Adventure Riding NZ

BMW Fixed front fork staunchion failures

Forums Forums Bikes BMW BMW Fixed front fork staunchion failures

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eddieb Eddieb 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Highly modified Suzuki DR650

On Facebook and a several international motorcycle forums there have been a number of recent posts where a failure of the fixed front fork staunchion on late model BMW 1200GS and GSA models has caused accidents and major injuries. In Australia and South Africa BMW has issued a service bulletin but I can’t find any information regarding any checks for bikes in New Zealand.

Here’s information regarding the checks for South Africa and Australia.

South Africa safety check Notice
    Austrlia Service Campaign 0031080000

One lucky rider spotted his fork failure just as he was about to head out for a ride

If you have one of the models specifically mentioned in the links above I’d strongly encourage you contact your local BMW motorcycle dealer and find out whether your bike is affected, and whats going on in NZ regarding this issue.

Here’s one report regarding a failure apparently caused by hitting a small rut 45km/h.

On the 30th July 2016 I received a call from my mom that nobody ever wants to hear… "Gill, Your father has been in an…

Posted by Gillian Fraser on Saturday, 24 June 2017

Profile photo of Dave Young
    Dave Young
    Participant
    • Bike : KTM 50 SX 2018

Ian1200 over on Advrider.com has posted a link to the BMW service campaign document outlining the fix for the crimping failure: BMW R1200GS Checking Fork Tube.pdf

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Highly modified Suzuki DR650

Internationally this has now turned into an official recall with BMW Motorad issuing the below statement.

As part of a safety recall, BMW Motorrad is checking the fixed fork tubes R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure motorcycles from the production period November 2013 to June 2017.

All affected bikes will be retrofitted with an additional fixed fork tube bush. If there is already any signs of preliminary damage, the fixed fork tubes will be replaced by modified new parts.

BMW Motorrad has determined during ongoing field observations that the fixed fork tube of the specified models can suffer damage, due to unusual incidents with momentary high stress, without the user noticing. Potential preliminary damage to the fixed fork tube manifests itself through a gap between the pipe and the pressed-in, top seal plugs.

If the fit of the pressed-in seal plug has loosened, the gap may increase through longer, high-stress usage. This may lead to oil leaks and noise. If these signals are not perceived, or are ignored, and further high-stress incidents occur, the plug may become completely loose. Subsequently, critical driving conditions cannot be ruled out.

BMW Motorrad has therefore decided to recall all motorcycles that could be affected to retrofit the fixed fork tube bushes. The owners of these motorcycles will be informed by BMW Motorrad. The safety recall is carried out for free for the customer at approved BMW Motorrad service centres.

You can search on the NZTA website for information on any vehicle recall in NZ https://www.vehiclerecallsafety.nzta.govt.nz/ but I don’t see any information regarding this issue there yet.

@dcy said:
    Ian1200 over on Advrider.com has posted a link to the BMW service campaign document outlining the fix for the crimping failure: BMW R1200GS Checking Fork Tube.pdf

That’s the one I linked to in the 2nd link of my original post above, different url, same document.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.