Topic: Corrosion on a new Dr650 | | Adventure Riding NZ

Corrosion on a new Dr650

Forums Forums Bikes Suzuki Corrosion on a new Dr650

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bladerunner99 Bladerunner99 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Noah Wakelam
    Participant

Hi, I’ve just(a month ago) bought a brand new Dr650 and it is starting to show corrosion all over. Bolts, muffler, break pedal, engine casing and break rotors to name a few. I have supplied pictures and been told by suzuki nz that this is to be expected and not covered by warranty, has anyone else had anything like this happen. Cheers Noah

Profile photo of OldBeer
    OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike : DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

I have a 2007 DL650 with bugger all corrosion anywhere. There’s a bit on my DRZ250 where it gets really hot but very little and that was ridden in sand dunes for a year before I bought it so I’m calling BS on that response from Suzuki.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Highly modified Suzuki DR650

Is it garaged or parked outside?

post up some pics

Noah Wakelam
    Participant

Here are some pictures (I hope), not sure how they will come up through this system as I’m new here.
    The shot with the bolts are holding on the front break master cylinder.
    One is one the foot break leaver, one is one the muffler just where it pops out from behind the plastics and one is of the handle bar between the grip and end cap. As to where it lives it’s outside lots simply due to being my run about, it’s now done 800ks all of which have been on road and is a month old.

Profile photo of Dave Young
    Dave Young
    Participant
    • Bike : KTM 50 SX 2018

I too have a bike that was purchased brand new (with a manufacture date of 2014 and bought in 2016) and it was equally riddled with corrosion. My assumption was that the dealership displayed the bike outside the front of their premises during opening hours and it got a plentiful dousing of moist salty sea air plus many soakings from frequent downfalls of rain.

It might be worth checking (removing and visually inspecting) any bolts that run through the chassis for corrosion. I found mine were corroding in a briny solution which then required my immediate attention to fix.

Noah Wakelam
    Participant

The closest this bike has got to the coast would have been going over the Auckland Harbour bridge on the way to the dealer in Kaitaia (I live in Kerikeri well away from the sea) and I’m under the impression that it was ordered for me so hasn’t been sitting around.

Profile photo of Claudio Saccomandi
    Claudio Saccomandi
    Participant
    • Bike : DR650

I have a 2007 dr650 and it has corrosion everywhere. The frame , close to the foot pegs, where the boots are rubbing all the time, will also start showing some rusty color if you don’t protect it. Honestly I don’t mind that because it’s not brand new, it adds some extra manly looking to an already extremely manly bike. My suggestion, enjoy it as it is, it’s a fantastic bike.

Noah Wakelam
    Participant

Totally understand about bikes getting battle scars from use and being able to take it as manliness at my concern was the fact that it’s hardly out of the box and these are manufacturing/material effects. I’ll keep riding it anyway as being on two wheels is an awesome way to get around

Profile photo of Bladerunner99
    Bladerunner99
    Participant

Noah, the corrosion shown in those photos is not too worrying, the oxidation to the bolt coating is fairly common, the rust inside the tube is because it is near impossible to paint the inside adequately, the rust around the weld on what appears to be a stainless exhaust/cat is caused by the welding process. I suggest that you google ‘ACF50’ and purchase some off trademe, it is an excellent anti corrosion treatment, simply clean and dry the bike and apply the liquid as recommended. If however, you have serious corrosion to plating and/or painted items where the coating is lifting, then Suzuki must replace/repair the item as it is not fit for purpose.

Hope this helps 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.