Eddieb's next sidecar

Forums Forums Sidecars Sidecar Chat Eddieb's next sidecar

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Eddieb 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I miss my sidecar and will have another, though it will be a couple of years yet.

In the meantime I surf the net and look at ideas, whatever I get/build will be capable of gravel roads and the tug will be <600cc to fit into the lower registration ACC levy range, have more than one cylinder, and preferably but not critically shaft driven.

I've looked at a few options

A Kawasaki Versys mounted unit, Kawasaki made a 400cc version...

or a KLE500

but I think I found my preference today. Back in 1996-97 I was a motorcycle courier in London using company issued Kawasaki GT550’s. I have fond memories of them, 4 cylinders, very agricultural and basic, but that works in their favour, and they have a shaft drive.

Me on my mighty steed, London 1996.

I’m not the first to think of using one, it’s been done before.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

This one would have been perfect, It sold in the UK recently for 1000GBP and had only done 13,000km.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Still wondering if I should just put a sidecar on the DR650, seeing as GT550’s are not available here.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I found a few more DR650 sidecar pics today, all left side swingers.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I quite like the concept of this, it was advertised on a UK site.

Yamaha Xj900f fitted with Briggs swift sidecar.

The bike has been fitted with updated suspension including external fork springs to help with the additional weight of the sidecar. It is fitted with a steering damper. Brand new front tyre, all three tyres are good on the combo. The bike has also got braided brake lines to help bring it all to a stop, new pads all round.
    It has covered about 25000 miles which is very low for these bikes.
    Has krauser panniers and of course loads of luggage space in the sidecar. Which is the fun part.

The sidecar is fitted with a sprung mattress complete with electric blanket! There is a fitted cushioned seat back for reclining in the evenings, for entertainment a 10″ tv/DVD player is fitted with freeview, aerial mast and aerial included. There are 3 12v power sockets and 4 USB power sockets. All the 12v accessories run off a 70ah leisure battery mounted between the bike and sidecar. The battery is kept topped up by a 30w solar panel mounted to the rear of the sidecar, this sits flat against the back when travelling but is angled up by a gas ram when camping. Oh and of course there is an internal light fitted.
    A canopy fits to the sidecar with toggle style fittings and a lightweight sectional pole. This gives just enough room to sit under and cook under etc.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

More left side DR 650 sidecar goodness

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.