Ensuring Adventure Riding NZ's Future- Becoming an Incorporated Society

Forums Forums General Discussion Site Stuff Ensuring Adventure Riding NZ's Future- Becoming an Incorporated Society

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of OldBeer OldBeer 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : DR650,

Since I started Adventure Riding NZ, this website and the groups direction has been managed by me, with the assistance of my wife and a small group of members as required. It’s been ‘my baby’ so to speak.
    This means that if at any time I am no longer able or willing to continue doing so everything comes to a halt and Adventure Riding NZ could be no more.

To ensure the long term future of Adventure Riding NZ we have started the process of becoming an Incorporated Society.
    Becoming an Incorporated Society means responsibility for the future direction of Adventure Riding NZ will be decided and managed by a committee of members with a formalized documented set of rules, it will no longer be ‘my’ baby but the members baby. In the next day or 2 the Adventure Riding NZ website will hit 1700 members and it’s becoming time members had more of a say.

The process of becoming an Incorporated Society is not a fast one and may take up to a year to choose the initial committee, define a set of rules and get all the paperwork processed so it won’t happen overnight.

This will not lead to members having to pay to access the tracks and forums on the Adventure Riding NZ website, it’s a mechanism to ensure Adventure Riding NZ can continue into the future without a reliance on me.

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

Hmmm, where do I sign up?

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

You already are by being here.

Keith Fenwick
    Participant

Hi Eddie

Great idea. I am sure that plenty of people, including myself can be of assistance and or support the process as required.

Michael J Breen
    Participant

To become an incorporated Society, you’ll need associates to sign the incorporation docs and then will need to have a meeting to elect club delegates. Have you got that in hand?

Michael J Breen

Appreciate all your work Edward and Jen, I know how much work it is as I spent about 3 years getting the Totara Park Mountain bike tracks supported and then lengthened. At the end, we started the TPMTB Club and I was happy to hand it all over and have a life again

Profile photo of ss2fly
    ss2fly
    Participant
    • Bike : KTM 540exc - modified

Goes without saying, I’m obviously in and more than happy to help in anyway I can.
    This resource is invaluable to us Kiwis and needs to stay.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

We’re working on it. Yes 15 associates have to sign the docs, plus at least one witness. We’ve literally only just started the process so we’re still working out in what order things have to happen, what paperwork is required when etc and the practicalities of making that all happen with members spread nationwide.

@michael_j_breen said:
    To become an incorporated Society, you’ll need associates to sign the incorporation docs and then will need to have a meeting to elect club delegates. Have you got that in hand?

Steve Parkinson

Absolutely the right path.

Profile photo of JoniBarTeam
    JoniBarTeam
    Participant
    • Bike : R1200GS

Great work @eddie, count me in if I can be of assistance.

Profile photo of Glenn Hart
    Glenn Hart
    Participant
    • Bike : BMW 1200 GS & Ducati 750SS

Sounds great, just a thought on the structure, as you said the members are spread across the country, therefore I would suggest you consider NZADR include allowing for sub regions in the constitution, then members could have regional representation.

Happy to help out when I return to NZ in December, I have had plenty of experience writing the rules for start up Incorporated Societies.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Here’s a first draft of a set of rules, any comments?

Profile photo of OldBeer
    OldBeer
    Participant

Hi Eddie

I have had a little experience with incorporated societies through involvement with Save the Children and a large football club in Auckland.

SCNZ had regional sub sections and I would recommend against doing that. It multiplies the administrative load as you need to effectively duplicate committees in any regions. Some will be more active than others. My experience is that all parts of the organisation, including the main committee will sooner or later struggle with finding people willing to take on the specified roles.

Hence it would be my advice to keep things as lean and as simple as possible. I would say have just one committee, with as few officers as possible. I found people were more willing to take on a task that had a distinct purpose and timeframe than “be on a committee”.

While the rules seek to run the IS (not such a good acronym anymore) in a democratic manner, what will work best is power in the hands of a benevolent dictator, who can be deposed with a bit of effort.

My comments on the rules are taken from that experience.
    Rule 4.3 requires a minimum of 6 committee members at committee meetings – Why? Less would be better and easier in the long term
    Rule 5 gives a lot of say to the membership and could make a rod for your own back. My experience is that only a very few people will do any useful work for the society and they are likely to be on your committee. However if its like the football club, there will be no shortage of armchair experts, down the track,telling you how it should be done – this rule gives them power to do that. Keep more power at committee level I suggest by ditching a, c and d. Keep b to get rid of any megalomaniac chairpersons….
    Rule 8.1 f….the committee cannot ensure anything much and certainly not the behaviour of members. That’s too high a standard and sets up the committee for unfair criticism if one of the members does something very silly. Suggest that changes to “consider any alleged breaches of the Rules by members” or something like that
    Rule 9.1 a – in this context I think this “ensure” is talking about the committee behaving itself. Oversee would be a better term, I believe.
    Rule 10 – suggest that you add a definition of “attend” and “present” to the end of the rules (Rule 27), given that meetings need to be able to happen on line, given your geographically disparate membership. It should be a fairly inclusive definition if you want involvement from as many people as possible. For example, can I vote if I am online and not actually “there”??? Contributing by text message? etc etc.
    Rule 14 – very cumbersome in my view. Suggest add a line to the duties of the committee to consider cessation of any membership, with their decision final. With all due respect, its just a motorcycle club.
    Rule 20. Unless we are talking about large sums of money I would go for a review – it will be less costly and carry less responsibility for the reviewer, thus easier to obtain.
    Rule 21.8 The rules need to consider some from of digital voting. (Even though the government cant manage it!)
    Do you really need a provision for a secret ballot? A bit OTT?
    Rule 26d. Its not unusual I believe to nominate a charity to which any surplus proceeds are donated. This means that its not in anyone’s pecuniary interest to wind up the society.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth
    Cheers

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Thanks for that feedback. The first draft was based on draft rules from the Incorporated Societies website so I’ll take yours onboard.

Due to long term plans I need to find a group to take over things within the next 18 months.

Profile photo of OldBeer
    OldBeer
    Participant

You’re welcome Eddie. Understood re using a proforma draft, entirely appropriate. The challenge is to make the running of the thing as simple as possible, for whoever takes over. You will be able to gauge how easy it will be to make that happen by the number of people that actually take the time to read and comment on your draft rules.

an edit to my comments, for the sake of clarity
    Rule 14 – very cumbersome in my view. Suggest delete this entire rule and instead add a line to the duties of the committee to consider cessation of any membership, with their decision final. With all due respect, its just a motorcycle club.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.