Topic: Adventure Riding NZ's Future | | Adventure Riding NZ - Part 5

Adventure Riding NZ's Future

Forums Forums General Discussion Site Stuff Adventure Riding NZ's Future

This topic contains 71 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Fenwick 18 hours, 33 minutes ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of OldBeer
    OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike : DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Great meeting you all today. I think that was all really good and the way forward is a lot clearer.

Look forward to hearing about the next steps

Cheers

Keith Fenwick
    Participant

Me too.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Highly modified Suzuki DR650

Thanks for coming along guys, it was great to meet those I hadn’t met before and get some new ideas about moving forward.

Some things that came out of today:

ADVNZ will not become a registered society/formal club, there’s just not enough people willing to assist, continue with current ‘benevolent dictator’ and advisor group model.

A better image upload mechanism and/or directions for setting up a smugmug account for users to host their own images.

Check out netrider.Com.au for ideas.

Update liability wording and presentation e.g have to accept at time of registration?

Set up development environment for testing, share access to it.

Further review of calender plugins that give better integration with forums, or modify bb topics for posts plugin to attach forum topics to event custom post type as works with gps track pages.

Seek local volunteers/representatives to promote group, organise rides etc.

Further review of incorporating other groups /blogs.

I know @mark-claasen took a few notes.

That’s it for me today. I’m wiped out and in bed already.

Profile photo of Joao de Almeida Tenreiro
    Joao de Almeida Tenreiro
    Keymaster
    • Bike : R1200GS

Eddie, good to meet personally finally.
    Thanks for taking the time to put this together and come to meet with us.
    I’m sure we will be able to help a lot more from now on.

Cheers
    Joao

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Highly modified Suzuki DR650

Does anyone have any words about ADVNZ not becoming a club and keeping the status quo ‘benevolent dictator’ model we could use to post on FB?

I had a quick look at finding some sort of auto image resize on upload function but no likely leads yet.
    One issue that’s recently developed is that the site is currently hosted with Siteground.com and they moved where the site is physically hosted from the US to Spain recently without any consultation and site performance has suffered because of it. If uploading an image in a forum post the site sometimes times out, this didn’t happen before it was moved to Spain.
    Image resizing on upload can take a bit of time and so I suspect the timeouts would be exaggerated if users were uploading larger images. Ideally the site should be moved somewhere a lot closer to NZ, Asia or the western seaboard of the US at least for better performance, but I’d need technical assistance to research options and to do the move. Last time I looked at NZ based options they weren’t financially viable.

I plan on setting up a staging/dev environment tomorrow to test changes, I had one running but the subdomain wouldn’t resolve to it and I couldn’t figure out why. Some assitance with some css to sort of issues with the right column not appearing in the right place below about 1450 wide resolution, or I’m happy to consider a completely new template/look if something better can be done with that.

I’ve been doing some research with the current calendar plugin also and I think I know what is required to make it work more seamlessly, I’m just not sure how to do it.

ADVNZ will not become a registered society/formal club, there’s just not enough people willing to assist, continue with current ‘benevolent dictator’ and advisor group model.

A better image upload mechanism and/or directions for setting up a smugmug account for users to host their own images.

Update liability wording and presentation e.g have to accept at time of registration?

Further review of calender plugins that give better integration with forums, or modify bb topics for posts plugin to attach forum topics to event custom post type as works with gps track pages.

Profile photo of OldBeer
    OldBeer
    Participant

My suggestion…off the top of my head and fairly late at night, not normally when I do my best work!. Normally I’d save this as a draft and send it tomorrow but don’t know if I can do that on here….anyway ….here goes.

As there is very little support for the idea of running ADVNZ as an incorporated society, that idea has been dropped.

Both the website and the Facebook page are both very valuable in their own way but both require effort and input to maintain. As I said before, I will be decreasing my direct involvement, so continuity will depend on others stepping up to assist with specific tasks. Some of those discussions have already started and early indications are good. If you would like to help and think you can add some value, then don’t hesitate to contact me.

For now, the best thing that the current membership can do to help is to keep riding your bikes and posting about it on the website or Facebook page, your choice.

I’ll let you know more as and when things develop. Thanks for supporting ADVNZ.

Profile photo of OldBeer
    OldBeer
    Participant

have since jumped on the PC and searched for the original posts.

I think that what I have suggested is OK, but Eddie you might want to make it sound a bit more positive?

Over to you.

Cheers

Keith Fenwick
    Participant

My 10 cents worth

Good afternoon all. Recently I floated the idea of running ADVNZ as an incorporated society or similar structure. This is an update to let everyone know I have dropped the idea and will continue in my role as a benevolent dictator for the foreseeable future. I wanted to discuss and make public, the concept as I wanted to ensure the continuity of the ADV Website and Facebook page as over time I will need to reduce my hands on involvement for various reasons, though I hope not on a permanent basis. As an example my family is planning an extended break overseas and I will not have the time to commit to the maintenance of the resources.

Both the website and the Facebook page are both very valuable in their own way but both require effort and input to maintain. I would like to offer more content on the website and develop the forums as well as maintaining the Facebook page and partnering with other people where it makes sense and is mutally beneficial. Both sites have a growing membership which is a healthy sign. Continuity will depend on others stepping up to assist with specific tasks. Some of those discussions have already started and early indications are good. If you would like to help and think you can add some value, then don’t hesitate to contact me.

For now, the best thing that the current membership can do to help is to keep riding your bikes and posting about it on the website or Facebook page, your choice.

I’ll let you know more as and when things develop. Thanks for supporting ADVNZ.

Profile photo of Mark Claasen
    Mark Claasen
    Participant
    • Bike : 1200GSA KLR650NE WR450 RMX250, DR750,

Hi everyone it was great to all get together and my other notes to add to Eddie’s comments below

Fund Raising Ride (potentially charge $50 to fully go towards Website running for year)

Joao and Andrew major players in website running, Joao potentially run motorcycle business and fund website to some degree

Andrew may integrate Rambler ride into ADVNZ (but may just keep as linked to his Blog which is fine)

Have Insurance written down but think this was just a note in regard to Northern Gravel Riders having that (enough funds we could also)

Thoughts regarding Web being a valuable hub and library and worth preserving, Facebook will really Run itself and be of benefit to direct people to web library and hub as well

Personal thoughts, i don’t think we need to talk to much about FB page and don’t really need any assistance with that but web requires a real push to be preserved for the future

That’s most of it, couple of other thing might add later

Looking good though I think

@eddieb said:
    Thanks for coming along guys, it was great to meet those I hadn’t met before and get some new ideas about moving forward.

Some things that came out of today:

I know @mark-claasen took a few notes.

That’s it for me today. I’m wiped out and in bed already.

Profile photo of Papabendi
    Papabendi
    Participant
    • Bike : KLX400R

Hmmm, I can see the need for some technical tinkering. Looks like copy from an earlier post of Eddie’s has dropped into comments above from Old Beer and Keith Fenwick. Maybe they were quoting him deliberately but set in body type like that it looked like their own comments, until you realise they were odd things for them to be saying – and they were both saying the same thing. But even if they were quoting Eddie’s post about requiring effort to maintain, I didn’t see the context in either case. Strange.

Re platform and technical issues I see Eddie or someone has already raised the issue of the frames doing strange things when you reduce the window size. I was going to raise that.

The other thing was a problem with the search. I couldn’t replicate it just now but I wanted to find something I’d seen before from another member and the search using his name only threw up just two items, and he’d been much more voluble than that. Some trawling about through other fora turned up what i was looking for but I was surprised by my first result.

Anyway good luck to all who are contributing to keeping this going. Add me to the list of possible helpers even if the only practical help I can offer is to do some more rides and write about them.

Profile photo of Papabendi
    Papabendi
    Participant
    • Bike : KLX400R

Oh, in case anyone is looking for this kind of feedback re technical stuff: In my browser, Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115, there’s too little contrast on save and search buttons so I can’t see the text – I just wonder what this box does, oh, okay, that’s it.

And on my personal home page there’s heap of Facebook comments starting with the the oldest, from May through to October 2015, yet I have made zero comments, as the heading reminds me, on Facebook. Baffling. They have always been there, same view every time. Is this the same for everyone?

Ian

Keith Fenwick
    Participant

Test

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.