Bay of Plenty – Hawkes bay – Gisborne Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Bay of Plenty – Hawkes bay – Gisborne Rides

This topic contains 108 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Craig McAulay 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 109 total)
  • Author

Black Betty
    Participant
    • Bike : DR650

18th is no good for me, but I could always come ride “Pikowai track” and maybe others then head home.

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike : CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250

We can do a 1 day ride or a 2 day. Post up what your interested in and I will put together a route. I’m sticking with 17th Dec for now.

Brainflex
    Participant

And the silence was deafening! Maybe I need to try again in the new year. @black-betty, Still want to ride on 17th? Meet up at bottom of Pikowai Rd and go exploring?

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Suzuki DR650 ADV

I’ll be based in Tauranga Jan 1st to 10th and intend on doing Pikowai Road and Porters Road over that time.

Brainflex
    Participant

Give me a shout and I will join you. Anyone else?

ss2fly
    Participant
    • Bike : KTM 540exc - modified

I’m keen too. Work depending as its our “busy season”

Black Betty
    Participant

@brainflex Yes, still keen (maybe meet at bottom of old coach rd to take in Campbell Rd, which joins up with Pikowai where it turns into gravel. I was round here last weekend but Pikowai was gated, though unsure if it normally is). Hamilton Rd is still in very poor condition and therefore lots of fun and the forestry track running along side Pongakawa Rd is still there and great too!
    I wanted to explore up Wairoa Rd but some old grump had taken up residence in his campervan on Hamilton Rd and told me to “F off” as he was hunting up there. Best not to argue with people packing guns!

Black Betty
    Participant

Oh, and if your heading Rotoma way and haven’t already, have a blat down Herepuru Rd. One I discovered last weekend and worthy of adding to the repertoire of gravel rides in this area.

Black Betty
    Participant

Eddie, I’m free from xmas to 8th Jan so keen for a ride/s over that time. Perhaps catch up for a beer too…

@brainflex , I’m very keen to head over your way and ride Motu, Motu Falls? and Takaputahi Rd/ Otipi Track with an overnight somewhere like Whitikau Campsite in Feb your keen?

cottlini
    Participant
    • Bike : hp2e

What time are you planning to meet at Pikowai Road on 17th as could be keen to explore

Brainflex
    Participant

@black-betty, My plan is ride up Pikowai, down Porters and then explore the road network and see where we can go and which roads link up. Both times I have followed Pikowai to Campbells it has been gated but we can try again, I was able to get around the gate.
    @cottlini No set time yet, so say 9.30am? at bottom of Pikowai Rd.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

You were heading North up Pikowai towards SH2 when you found the gate? If so I think you are inside the gated area there getting out, not vice versa, also the designated section of Pikowai road just south of the gate doesn’t follow the road curve as it is constructed, but follows a straight line along a forest trail through the trees.

I did Pikowai North to South and wouldn’t want to try doing it the opposite, how did you get up through this sesction?

Brainflex
    Participant

Came up from Manawahe Rd, it was fairly easy getting up that section but then I was on a postie! Only got the footpegs stuck once. I hit the gravel and headed downhill to the first junction and then I turned right and followed for a while then turned around and went left to the gate, went around it then turned back after a short while. Next time was the same but went left first and explored down Campbell Rd a bit but had no map so went back.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So at that junction if you look into the trees there should be a narrow trail there which is the real Pikowai Road and goes in a straightish line to come out 20 metres north of the gate on the outside of the bend. South of the gate you are inside the gated section heading out, not outside heading in.

Brainflex
    Participant

Ahh OK, well I will do some more exploring and take my GPS and a map with me so that we are ready for when we ride there in the New Year.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.