Bay of Plenty – Hawkes bay – Gisborne Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Bay of Plenty – Hawkes bay – Gisborne Rides

This topic contains 108 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Craig McAulay 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)
  • Author

Black Betty
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650

Here is Brainflex leading you up the garden path…mind you, I was the first to charge across that river.

Attachments:

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250

What is it? pick on the pom time? Anyhow I don’t lead people astray, I challenge them. Just because I like errr interesting tracks doesn’t mean I am a bad person.

cottlini
    Participant
    • Bike: hp2e

Hey Brainflex
    Whats the point of owning adventure bikes if you don’t go on adventures. It’s like Awkwardlanders owning range rovers to go to the cafe. Keep up the great work we need more people with your talents.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Well, speaking as another Pom and an awkwardlander, I’m looking forward to being lead astray by Brainflex, once I get my drz down there. Keep it up I say.

Brainflex
    Participant

Cheers guys. Cottlini, on that HP2e most tracks will be an adventure, great to see what it can do. Oldbeer, I,ve gotta say, be careful what you wish for! lol

OldBeer
    Participant

Hey Brainflex has it dried out down there yet?
    Wondering whether to head to the Bay in May or leave it until spring. I reckon I might squeeze one more trip in before I wuss out for the winter.

Brainflex
    Participant

Still wet at the moment. Probably best to leave it to Spring way things are a this time. Lots of trees n slips still need sorting.

OldBeer
    Participant

Cheers. I will stick to gravel bashing up here then.

Zongie
    Participant
    • Bike: 2015 Zongshen RX3

Greetings all

The weather in and around the Manawatu looks to be great this weekend, so I’ll be heading out on Sunday morning from Dannevirke towards Akitio beach and then most likely up the coast and home via Ormondville.

I’ll be at the BP in Dannevirke until 9:00am if anyone wants to join me.

Peter

Zongie
    Participant
    • Bike: 2015 Zongshen RX3

Had an awesome ride, the roads were dry and pretty much empty, fantastic.

Koonzee
    Participant

Adv. Riders,

Hello. I hope this post finds everyone well.

I recently joined the forum and fellow forum member, EddieB, suggested I repost the following request for assistance within this subforum.

I am writing in regards to a motorcycle that is for sale in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty. I am second inline to purchase the motorcycle. If it does not sell this weekend, I would like to learn if any forum member, located in the Bay of Plenty, would be kind enough to perform an inspection and quick test ride. I would be happy to compensate a member for their time and effort, share a nice dinner or few drinks once I am in town or possibly hand deliver some nice accessories for your motorcycle from the United States.

Everything is tentative at this moment. However, I am ready to purchase the motorcycle as soon as possible if it is not sold this weekend, and the inspection is good. Essentially, I am trying to be proactive in order to purchase the motorcycle quickly. After various searches online, I believe this motorcycle is relatively rare and is not often available on the classified ad in New Zealand. I currently own the same model motorcycle and am very familiar with it. Therefore, this would be a great touring motorcycle for my needs at this time.

The motorcycle is needed for a multi-country tour starting in New Zealand.

Are there any members in the Tauranga, Bay of Plenty region, who would consider inspecting and test riding a motorcycle for me?

Thanks in advance!

David (Koonzee)
    Southern California

cottlini
    Participant

Hey David

If you get stuck I live in Tauranga I could go and have a look at the bike for you, what is the bike?
    I would recommend getting a local bike shop to check it out for you as well.
    I can give you a quick opinion of the bike to see if it’s worth investing in the bike shop review.
    What trip are you planning on doing in NZ as some of the places can be challenging and distances are small compared to USA.

Cheers

Cottlini

Koonzee
    Participant

Cottlini,

Hello and thank you for your post and offer to help. It is appreciated.

The motorcycle is an old Honda XRV750. I currently own two of them in the US and know them very well. It is a little rough and lacks curb appeal, but would suit my needs at this time. I can share more information with you about areas to checkout once I am able to schedule a visit with the owner.

I have read a tour guide published by Insight Guides and hope to obtain a couple books about motorcycling in New Zealand. A few motorcycling books available via Amazon include:
    Motorcycle Vagabonds – Around the World, Part 1: The Americas, New Zealand and Australia
    Great Escapes : A Guide To Motorcycle Touring in New Zealand
    New Zealand By Motorcycle
    Twisting Throttle New Zealand
    New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas
    New Zealand Travel: Land Of The Long Wild Road
    Can you recommend any of the above titles and perhaps a publisher for a good map that includes 4×4 roads?

Thanks again for your offer to help.

David

Koonzee
    Participant

Cottlini,

Hello again. I just learned of Remote Moto today. It is very impressive and a great resource! I may have to extend my visit<g>.

David

cottlini
    Participant

Hi David

Yep they are a strong bike, my HP2e is butt ugly but gets me into all sorts of places good and bad. Let me know the details and I’ll check it out. I haven’t checked out any of those books. When I was doing a lot of adventure riding, I’d have a large map of NZ on the Monday morning I’d close my eyes and point to the map, and if I hadn’t been there that’s where I was going for the weekend.
    Your best bet would be to put a basic game plan together, then post in the different areas for people to give you a heads up.
    The South Island is amazing no matter how many times I go down there it still blows me away and plenty of 4×4 tracks to explore. Allow some time down there. Invercargill hayes hardware shop is a must as is the truck museum in Invercargill. Whitebait fritters at Jacksons Bay Haast is insane. All depends how much time you have.
    Knowing the people of NZ if you let people know where your going you’ll probably get some groupies. Enjoy the planning talk soon

Cottlini

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.