Bay of Plenty – Hawkes bay – Gisborne Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Bay of Plenty – Hawkes bay – Gisborne Rides

This topic contains 108 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Craig McAulay 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)
  • Author

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike : DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Hey David

Of those books I have a copy of Twisting Throttle on my shelf and I’m gradually ticking off the various rides. Its a pretty good introduction but doesn’t include the very off-roady stuff you will find on this forum and RemoteMoto, so bear that in mind. All the rides are good though.

Biggest problem I think you will have trying to decide where to go or more likely what to leave out. Its a great place to ride and unless you are here for an indefinite period you are highly unlikely to see all there is that is amazing.

Good luck and if you up around Auckland I would be happy to show you a few of my favourite rides.

Koonzee
    Participant

Cottlini/OldBeer,

Hello and thank you for your replies and comments about riding. I am really looking forward to NZ! I already purchased the Twisting Throttle New Zealand and it should be in my hands on the 31st. I am also interested in obtaining the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas, but am unsure if it will be useful. It is very large, only has 12 pages and prices ranges from $70 and up…. copyright in 2005-2007. Is it really that good? I noticed National Geographic offers an adventure motorcycle map that is a fraction of cost of the atlas and may be used in a tank bag map pocket. I may end up with both if feedback is positive.

Like many of you, I have an interest in photography while adv riding. NZ just may ‘set the hook’ and I’ll never leave. How’s the riding on South Island during winter? Do you guys get out in the cold and mud or do simply stand down until summer? I am unsure how cold and muddy the tracks become…I am fortunate in SoCal that it rarely rains and it is mostly arid desert conditions and traction is never an issue.

Btw, if wish to checkout my backyard or ‘stomping grounds’…you may view a couple rides from the past six months at:

Colorado & Utah: (Camped 55/60 Nights during late Sept to late Nov.)
    http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/dkunze/library/Africa%20Twin%20Tour%20of%20CA_NV_UT_AZ_CO?sort=4&page=1

SoCal’s Desert ‘Trip’ during this spring’s super bloom (for the flower lovers); 3.5 weeks…car camping!
    http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/dkunze/library/2017-03%20Desert%20Trip?sort=4&page=1

If you browse around…you can find images of my three previous pretty Transalps, rally-ready ST1100’s (especially the IceRoad Bikers folder… when I tried to ride the ST1100 as an adv motorcycle<g>)
    http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/dkunze/library/Ice%20Road%20Bikers_Man%20versus%20Nature?sort=3&page=1

If NZ allows towing a motorcycle carrier on the back of a truck/SUV, you guys may like the engineering of Might Hauler carrier… It is over-kill but can handle 1000 lb (450 kg) motorcycle!

Anyhow, the above will provide a peak into my world. I am sure we share a few of the same interests.

Cottlini: I am sure your HP2 isn’t ugly. I thought they were the ‘cats-meow’ when they became available! As you will learn, I enjoy breathing new life into old Hondas… with potential, like the one in Bay of Plenty.

Please be patient with PhotoBucket… it is a free photo hosting service and users have to deal with a couple pop-up advertisements.

Thanks again for your feedback.

David

Koonzee
    Participant

>Invercargill hayes hardware shop is a must as is the truck museum in Invercargill. Whitebait fritters at Jacksons Bay Haast is insane<

Exactly the kind of ‘local knowledge’ I love to receive! Keep them coming and bring it on!!!
    Are there any most-do music/cultural festivals, vintage car shows, crazy pubs, geological oddities or motorcycle rallies to consider between late Oct to the end of December?

I appreciate all the feedback and recommendations. (I don’t want to post inappropriate info in this thread if it would be better posting in the chit chat forum. Please let me know if I stray to far from the rules/protocols.

TIA!

Koonzee
    Participant

>Good luck and if you up around Auckland I would be happy to show you a few of my favourite rides.<

OldBeer: Hello again and thank you for the offer. It is appreciated and I will make at note of it and drop a line once I am in the area. You are always welcome to SoCal/San Diego as well. As you may have viewed from links above, there is a lot to explore in California, Utah and Colorado. I am not an aggressive or very technical rider… I simply just enjoy exploring remote areas to photograph.. often on a heavy dual-sport while riding solo. So the areas you see in the photographs are very accessible. Thanks again for the invite! David

OldBeer
    Participant

<cite>@koonzee said:</cite>
    >Good luck and if you up around Auckland I would be happy to show you a few of my favourite rides.<

OldBeer: Hello again and thank you for the offer. It is appreciated and I will make at note of it and drop a line once I am in the area. You are always welcome to SoCal/San Diego as well. As you may have viewed from links above, there is a lot to explore in California, Utah and Colorado. I am not an aggressive or very technical rider… I simply just enjoy exploring remote areas to photograph.. often on a heavy dual-sport while riding solo. So the areas you see in the photographs are very accessible. Thanks again for the invite! David

Sounds like you are just like most of us then! Lots of great riding just on legal roads, Tarmac and lots of lovely gravel, without ever venturing off them.

Weather, There are few hardy souls who will ride in the rain and snow but I confess I’m not one of them. See the Adventure Riding NZ Facebook page for many photos. It rains a lot here. That’s why it’s so green. South Island in winter, you’d better have heated grips on your Bike and several layers of thermal underwear on you but on the right (clear) day you be able to take some amazing photos.

Maps and books…I know planning is half the fun but don’t bind yourself to a timetable if you can help it. I would say wait until you have your copy of twisting throttle and see what else you think you really want/need. The Nat geo map sounds good…got a link to that? But as mentioned above I would just plan to be in one region at a time and then hook up with a few locals from this forum over a coffee or a beer and then get the latest on what’s good where you are. They will enjoying showing off their patch. When you have seen enough move on.

All the best for your trip.

Koonzee
    Participant

OldBeer,

Hello again. Thanks for the weather update. I forgot about all the rain NZ receives annually that my tour book reference. I agree, it is best to avoid cold rains….

I was incorrect in regards to the Nat Geo map…. it is actually for NZ adventures, not adventure riding.
    Here’s the link in case you may still be interested:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Zealand-adv-Adventure-Numbered/dp/1566955491/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495788463&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=new+zealand+motorcycle+adv+map

I have learned in SoCal, the off-road jeep and 4×4 community can be a great resource for 4×4 tracks. I’ll browse around to learn if there are any current good books available. I’ll have to browse a few local photography forums to learn if there are additional must-see destinations.

Btw, I must say my first impression of corresponding with the forum members like myself has been great. Many riders like yourself and Cottlini have been very generous and helpful, especially to volunteer for a test ride. It is really nice and I appreciate it. Rider/Matt on Africa Twin NZ has pointed me to a couple resourceful FB sites. Another Kiwi\Mo is helping me is communication on TradeMe.co.nz since I can not obtain access. He’s been like an ambassador of NZ! Anyhow, everyone has been great! There must be a lot of good karma in NZ.

If I learn of anything useful from my 4×4 browsing, I’ll share it with the forum.

Take care & ride safely.

David

OldBeer
    Participant

Nice bike!
    And I have to admit you have your share of epic scenery there too.
    Cheers

cottlini
    Participant
    • Bike : hp2e

Hi David

Check out burt munro rally that’s on about the time your talking. formally Blackball Hilton is an experience and great place to stay.
    Whangamomona Hotel is on the lost highway and a good place to stay, just fill up with fuel before getting on the highway (not a USA highway hehehe)
    Coromandel and lost springs resort at Whitianga is a good stop then hot water beach at low tide
    The Motu road is a world famous rally road lots of gravel. The road from Rotorua to lake Waikaremoana is a good gravel road and great views just watch out for wild but friendly pigs and people on horse back.
    Napier has lots of winery’s
    Milford sound is stunning, I have been told manapouri power station is worth a visit.
    If the weather is good Old Man Range in central Otago
    That should keep you entertained for a bit

Koonzee
    Participant

OldBeer: Thanks. The XRV750 is simply a pleasant & relaxing ride…nice to ‘live with’ for extended trips.
    Cottlini: Thanks! Love reading your posts! Everything is noted. The Burt Munro Rally looks great. Unfortunately it is scheduled outside of my window… on Feb. 8-11, 2018. The folks at Blackball Hilton look like a blast!… at least on their website’s main page. Nice hotel recommendations. The Old Woman and Old Man Range appear very interesting as well. Thank you for sharing a few of your favorites.
    Take care & ride safely!

Koonzee
    Participant

Cottlini,

Hello. I am disappointed to report my attempt to purchase the Africa Twin has failed because the owner will not consider an international buyer. I can understand and respect his decision. Anyhow, I am writing to provide a status update and to thank you again for volunteering for the inspection/test ride. I have decided to ship my own motorcycle.

If you would like to get together for a drink or lunch/dinner sometime, I will contact you once I ‘roll’ into town.

All: Thank you for your feedback and help while exploring the motorcycle purchase, discussion of route planning, books and maps. I’ll chime in again once I have more resources to fine tune my itinerary.

Take care & ride safely!

David

cottlini
    Participant
    • Bike : hp2e

Hi David

All good if you want help with your bike let me know, I can store it for you if need be. So you don’t lose time or have to wait for it.
    I have a van that I can collect it with and have tools you can use to assemble it if need be. Remember you’ll need to convert it to RH ride LOL
    If you want me to find out licencing info drop me a line (not the drug type) I’m sure you’ll be able to ride on your USA plate.
    Yep we can show you the sights of Tauranga, when you have a game plan sorted let me know, as I’ll have to kick the HP2 in the guts and go for a ride.
    Enjoy the planning

ChrisCole
    Participant

Hi Cottlini
    You may already be aware that as an alternative to having a Carnet for NZ you can pay the GST and temporarily import a bike when you re export the bike you can claim the GST back

Chris

Koonzee
    Participant

>Remember you’ll need to convert it to RH ride LOL<

Cottlini,

Hello and thank you very much for the generous offer. It is greatly appreciated.
    In regards to converting the motorcycle to RH drive… I am more concerned with converting my brain to RH drive<g>. I guess I’ll just have to go with the flow…

Thanks again and take care. I’ll be in touch.

David

OldBeer
    Participant

To continue the theme of bike review….does anyone know anything about the Transalp at Hastings Honda? Listing number. 1343137925
    Cheers

OldBeer
    Participant

dbl post….

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.