Great Barrier Island

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Great Barrier Island

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

niki666
    Participant

Has anyone been over before?

I just bought a ferry ticket for next weekend lmao, 5 day return trip with just my venerable KLR650 to keep me company. spending the lead up studying maps and planning trails. not sure what to expect really, never set foot on any of the offshore islands before lol.

be cool to gain some insight from someone thats been before. btw boat still has space for 1 or 2 bikes if anyone else feels like doing something different for easter

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Cant make this but would be very interested in a report – never been to GBI and had not considered doing it on the bike – until now!
    Have a good trip.

niki666
    Participant

I can’t seem to find any reports online so its looking like the responsibility may rest on my shoulders to make the first report

Peter Rigby
    Participant

I went there for the weekend 6 Feb. I loved it and pretty much rode everywhere that’s not private land. I suggest to work your way up the beaches starting from Medlands. The beaches on the eastern side have golden sands, while on the western side more rugged cliffs – also good, just different. You can get fuel and food at Tryphena, Claris (also try the fish burger at the sports club) and Port Fitz. Whangaparapara has fuel for a couple of hours around midday. Port Fitz is a gem of a port, also good swimming there. There’s good swimming at the beach at the end of Mabey Rd, and I liked the (private) camp just past Sugarloaf. Just call the number at the gate. Get a map from the ferry office before boarding – it’s got most everything. Try the hot pools – it’s an easy flat walk and worth it. The locals seem friendly, have fun!

niki666
    Participant

awesome advice! thanks heaps 🙂

niki666
    Participant

boat cancelled due to severe weather. rescheduling for after winter (posssibly labour weekend) all welcome

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I think @she_wolfnz has been over there too

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.