Topic: Is a low volume cert required when attaching a sidecar? | | Adventure Riding NZ

Is a low volume cert required when attaching a sidecar?

Forums Forums Sidecars Sidecar setup Is a low volume cert required when attaching a sidecar?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Box.a.Bits 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Highly modified Suzuki DR650

Hi folks

I’ve had various opinions on this, but can’t find anyting official.

Do you require a sidecar build to be Low Volume Certified, or any other sort of certification?

I found http://www.lvvta.org.nz which states:

What rules are there for modifying a motorcycle or trike, and where do I find them?
    LVVTA has yet to develop the motorcycle or trike LVV Standards, however these are on the list of projects for the future. In the mean-time, you can use the LVV Formset (link above) as a guide, and work closely with your LVV Certifier.

I’ve emailed LVVTA to see what they say.
    I found a reference in a discussion from 2008 on a local motorcycling forum that stated:

the rule is that a detachable sidecar needs no WoF in itself. It’s not a part of the bike. Like a trailer. There’s no VIR manual for sidecars (is for trailers) . Nor is there a rego fee prescribed. Nor does a sidecar have a frame number or VIN.

But , if it’s a built in one piece sidecar (like a racing sidecar) the it would need compliance . That makes it a class LE (ie a trike) .

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

I also found a WOF book current as at 20th November 2013 which indicates the below points specifically in relation to sidecars:
    http://www.glenitiautos.co.nz/site/glenitiauto/files/in-service-certification-(wof)%5B1%5D.pdf

There is no consistency in the document regarding the spelling of sidecar, I found sidecar, side-car, and side car all in use.

Sidecar_WOF_Rules_1_title

Sidecar_WOF_Rules_1

Sidecar_WOF_Rules_2_title

Sidecar_WOF_Rules_2

Sidecar_WOF_Rules_2_2

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike : BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

From 01/11/15, the rules have been clarified to state that all motorcycles fitted with a sidecar must have a LVVC, otherwise they will not be able to get WoF compliance.

The rule does not apply to sidecars manufactured as a unit, e.g. Urals. All others (regardless of age) must comply.

I am just in the process of finding what this will mean for my chair. The main things that they will look at is steering, mounts, & brakes. And a grab for $450, for the compliance process.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.