Nelson – Tasman – Marlborough Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Nelson – Tasman – Marlborough Rides

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Karahee 18 hours, 45 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Going for a ride in the Upper South Island? Post your plans here so other local riders can join in.

To get a notification every time someone posts in this thread press the subscribe button at the top of the first post on the page.

Peter
    Participant

Hello Marlborough people looking to do a short upper south ride starting around 10 th Jan. Planning on doing the Molesworth maybe the Rainbow then heading back north hopefully pass the lakes to Hamnar. Then a circuit northwest and back to Picton . Gravell roads where possible ,no waist deep river crossings (old man big bike short legs not running knobblys)but not scared of rough roads. Just starting to scour the maps but would welcome local input and company . Would have liked to included the inland Kaikura road but does not seem to link up on my intended route. Any input would be greatfully accepted on my bucket list ride

ajgreen
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R1200GS

Hi ya Peter.

Depends really where you start. But earlier this year the fam done a trip ex Blenheim down the Molesworth to Acheron Campground.

From there the next day we went up and over Jollies Pass into Hamner, and then back out later in the day of the Jacks Pass. We then drove up past the St James before pitching the tent at Lake Tennyson. Lake Tennyson is a great little spot, slightly exposed but beaut views up the lake and into the mountains.

The final day we traveled from Lake Tennyson via the Rainbow Valley to St Arnald, and home to Blenheim. The Rainbow Valley is a great road with plenty of scenic variety.

The roads are generally good. They were when we traveled. Not too many ruts and corrugations. The Molesworth only has a couple of fords, and the rainbox maybe half a dozen. Non were more than 12 inches deep, and generally had a good base. No mud.

Certainly a great trip. I’m looking forward to doing it this summer on my R1200GS.

Good luck. Send me a PM if you need more info.

Allister

Blenheim

ajgreen
    Participant

Moelsworth Road near the Acheron Campground

ajgreen
    Participant

Rainbow Valley

ajgreen
    Participant

Mountains from Lake Tennyson.

Map of the Molesworth.

Peter
    Participant

Thanks for the info do you know if you can ride from Molesworth up past The lakes to Hamner

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Juno
    Participant
    • Bike: 2012 BMW F800GS

Hi All,

I am looking at heading over the Maungatapu Track near Nelson on Saturday the 4th March 2017. Let me know if anyone is keen and we can organise a place and time to meet.

Regards,

Rich

Muzz67
    Participant

Hi Rich,
    I plan on heading through on Saturday, but probably not till mid-day.
    Muzz.

Juno
    Participant
    • Bike: 2012 BMW F800GS

Hi Muzz,

Sounds good how about we meet up at the Branford Park car-park on the river side at 1200.

Anyone else out there that is keen, let us know.

Regards,

Rich

Muzz67
    Participant

May be able to get away earlier.
    Wont be able to travel in any kind of hurry, am fully loaded.
    cheers,
    Muzz. 0211320763

enduro0627
    Participant
    • Bike: 2014KLR650EE

Hi,
    I am wondering if you have seen the AdventureRidingNZ “Picture Project” for the September motorcycle show.
    Check out the details here:
    Picture project
    Andrew

Jacques B Vosloo
    Participant

Meet at Robert Columbus Cafe 244 Hardy Street, Morrison Sq, Nelson, 7010 Contact: 02783898621
    [See the full post and comment at: Eatwells Lookout via Kenepuru rd this Sunday? Who is game?]

Karahee
    Participant
    • Bike: 2008 KTM 990 Adventure

Short notice:
    Few of Adventure bikes meet tomorrow 09:20am at BP Richmond. Heading towards WestHaven. All welcome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.