NZBCDR

Forums Forums Riding Places to ride NZBCDR

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

A thread to keep everyone connected and up to date with progress

Whos who…
    Coordinator and general nuisance – Oldbeer (Richard)
    General techies @jonibarteam, (Joao) and @enduro0627 (Andrew)

Route Contributors
    Northland @jonibarteam, (Joao) and @enduro0627 (Andrew)
    Waikato – @eddieb. Start in Auckland.
    Bay of Plenty – @brainflex
    Hawkes Bay – @night-falcon
    Wellington up to Hawkes Bay – @stephen-clark (Box a bits) End at the ferry.
    Taranaki – currently missing in action. Have messaged Young1 and have posted on Taranaki thread of ADVRider, no response. Failing any response from local riders (or suggestions of who I can talk to) I can have a go myself. Any suggestions?

Current Status
    Waiting for responses from contributors. Will post here when we have something to chew on.

Standing suggestions
    Pick a start and finish point through your region and join up the dots with as much gravel as is reasonable, compatible with actually travelling through the region from north to south.

While you are at it, have a think about a loop in your region that would pick up the other major highlights, missed by taking a more direct route through.

It might pay to just pick a route before going to the point of gps files, as we made need to change one or two roads so that the various regions start and finish points link up.

Cheers
    Richard

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250

Good on you for giving this ago. I will sort out some options from Tauranga and Rotorua down to Gisbourne with back road, gravel and gnarlier options where possible. Could also send them out Taupo way if necessary.

OldBeer
    Participant

Thanks for that.

Micawberism fron the ADVRider forum has sent a number of routes for Taranaki and in trying to form a route out of these, I have found it easier to sort out the loop of all the interesting bits gravel.

The obvious route south is via the FWH. It’s not gravel but should probably be on any adventure ride route through NZ. I mention this because if there is an obviously amazing piece of back road that’s not gravel, we should consider using it.

Thanks all for your inputs.
    Cheers

OldBeer
    Participant

So to illustrate what I am doing….

With Micawberisms help, I have come up with a reasonably direct route between Piopio and Raetihi that will bring our fictional north south rider through from the Waikato to the Manawatu, down the west side of the mountains.

Copy of the route attached. Includes a decent amount of gravel down to Taumaranui but then basically follows SH4 to Raetihi. The reason for going there is so that one could go down the road to Kai iwi along the river. But that’s to be decided by @stephen-clark and his mates down that way. Just a suggestion at this point.
    The SH4 bit is a bit boring and I see there are a few side road options for diversions but not sure they are all worth it.

As the direct route misses out most of the better gravel roads in Taranaki and the FWH, I am also working on a loop that takes all that in, starting and finishing in Taumaranui. That means that the direct route doesnt have to take in FWH, and leave me Stratford wondering what to do next. I’ll post that up later when I have it sorted.

I’m just putting this up here to show how I’m approaching things. All open to criticism and revision at this stage.

Joao
    Keymaster
    • Bike: R1200GS

HI @oldbeer thanks for this.
    And this is the prime example were we can include the “more adventurous option” and in this stretch do the 42nd Traverse instead of bits of the SH4.

OldBeer
    Participant

The Taranaki Loop……

332kms of some of the best gravel roads in the North Island, forests, rivers, tunnels, mountains, coffee, pies and gas. Who could ask for more. This loop can be done from anywhere but if on a smaller bike it makes sense to start from somewhere you can gas up, so Urenui or Taumaranui. It would be a full on days riding.

I have assumed anticlockwise so that the easier part is the run back up to Taumaranui but could of course be in either direction

I should mention here a word of thanks to Mike Hyde, whose book inspired a lot of this and of course to Micawberism from ADVRider forum. I’ll be posting this over there too for comment.

Any comments? Have I missed any important bits out?

Night Falcon
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 KTM EXC530 Adventure :-)

Hoping to do some exploring over the Naki this summer so theses routes will come in handy. Working on some HB maps but have to figure some stuff out on downloading GPS files to google and posting them…..watch this space πŸ™‚

OldBeer
    Participant

Thanks!

If you haven’t already done so, have a look at the Labour Weekend Northland Rally to see what that lookslike and how they have done it. Our final product might look something like that. They have used google maps to show a downloadable gpx file. If you get stuck give @jonibarteam or @enduro0627 a message and they will probably be able to assist.

I still think we shouldn’t put too much effort into gps files until we know what the “joined up” route is, but if its easier for you to do it that way then fine by me.

Cheers

OldBeer
    Participant

Heres another route to consider.

Im off to Whakatane at the end of the week so looked at a way to get down there that was not the usual SH2 via Karangahake or SH27 through Matamata.

I’m trying to keep off the motorway so south of the bridge I’m heading out to the east and will go through Clevedon, Kawakawa Bay and Kaiaua to just short of the Kopu Bridge. Ill hang a right into Hauraki Road to Paeroa and then duck back to Te Aroha and down to the Kaimai Hill. The bit to Whakatane will be in the dark so just going to go on the highway for that bit.

Not very exciting…..anyone got any suggestions? I don’t have to be in Tauranga until 6pm so I have all day to do this..

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite>@oldbeer said:</cite>
    Heres another route to consider.

Not very exciting…..anyone got any suggestions? ..

Too true.
    Here’s something a bit more scenic/ exciting and off the beaten path.

http://bit.ly/2ylfrfZ

Starts off at the Maraetai Boat Club (great meals, great views, top spot and very $reasonable)
    More inland/ off coast, quite a few gravel-stretches, scenic, views south of Clevedon.
    Quick check at Cosseys Dam, about 3km of SH2 before another tack south.
    Matahuru Rd. is nice, as is the Mangawara loop.No traffic along the western banks of the Waihou river, Wairere Falls are worth the walk.
    There was also some crusher or boilers or some old industrial thing just off the Old Te Aroha Rd. (signed!). Worth having a look, the carpark is elevated and overlooks the river flats.

Plenty more options when adding the Coromandel in some way or another….but that’ll make a damn long day out of it.

OldBeer
    Participant

Thanks Glitch, that looks a lot more interesting. I was thinking about going through the Hunuas but didn’t think of going straight across SH2. Will be adopting some or all of this.

Man, you get around….are you here yet?

<cite>@glitch_oz said:</cite>
    Too true.
    Here’s something a bit more scenic/ exciting and off the beaten path.

http://bit.ly/2ylfrfZ

Starts off at the Maraetai Boat Club (great meals, great views, top spot and very $reasonable)
    More inland/ off coast, quite a few gravel-stretches, scenic, views south of Clevedon.
    Quick check at Cosseys Dam, about 3km of SH2 before another tack south.
    Matahuru Rd. is nice, as is the Mangawara loop.No traffic along the western banks of the Waihou river, Wairere Falls are worth the walk.
    There was also some crusher or boilers or some old industrial thing just off the Old Te Aroha Rd. (signed!). Worth having a look, the carpark is elevated and overlooks the river flats.

Plenty more options when adding the Coromandel in some way or another….but that’ll make a damn long day out of it.

glitch_oz
    Participant

Thanks Glitch, that looks a lot more interesting. I was thinking about going through the Hunuas but didn’t think of going straight across SH2. Will be adopting some or all of this.

Man, you get around….are you here yet?

There used to be a road through the Hanuas (north-south) from the Ness Vly in the north, then Moumoukai Hill Rd./ Waterline Rd. past the Upper-Mangatawhiri Reservoir Park Offices/ Camp Grounds etc and out to Paparimu.
    Supposed to be all locked off for walkers + Mtn-bikes now. Don’t know if that still holds, I was told so a few years back by some locals.
    That was one beautiful ride!! http://bit.ly/2fMfzgV

Yeah, been snooping out NZ for a few decades now…and it keeps getting better, each time. πŸ™‚
    Sadly not quite there yet…but…end of the month.
    Checking tide tables for all around the Northland at the moment…

OldBeer
    Participant

That looks interesting, even if there are bits locked off. I will have to go and investigate one day. Will report back.

Can you remind me when you are going for your beer at the Old Leigh Sawmill place? I rode past it the other day, looks very swish. I’d like to pop up and say hi and thanks in person if I can.

Cheers

glitch_oz
    Participant

Piopio to Raetihi .

Similar but a fair bit more gravel and the scenics of the White Cones of Tongariro N.P., Whangaehu and Turakina valleys + Okaka Hills. http://bit.ly/2fMT0bI
    Just another option parallel to the SH4 + Whanganui River Rd….and it sets the points for the good stuff further south, cutting across to Dannevirke etc.

Can you remind me when you are going for your beer at the Old Leigh Sawmill place? I rode past it the other day, looks very swish. I’d like to pop up and say hi and thanks in person if I can.

Cheers

Swish? Oops!
    Arghhh…wot the hell! πŸ™‚
    It’d be great to meet face-to-face!
    We’ll be staying over at a farm around Pakiri, should be at the “Sawmill” around 5 on Sun 29th Oct.
    Looking forward πŸ™‚
    cheers
    Pete

OldBeer
    Participant

Ok, with huge thanks to Glitch (with a few tweaks from me) here is the new upgraded Auckland to Tauranga-still-not-amazingly-adventurous-but-much-more-interesting backcountry route.

https://goo.gl/maps/8eNKnbGpPS82

A ramble through the Waikato heartland and almost totally avoiding state highways, once you are off the motorway through Auckland and before you get to the Kaimai Hill. According to Ms Google this adds 2 hours to the trip time, so its a good job I have all day. I’ll still need to start early to allow plenty of off the bike time.

I am going to do this on Friday so I will report back on the experience. Should be good!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.