Tapora Okahukura Reserve and Birds Beach

Forums Forums Riding Places to ride Tapora Okahukura Reserve and Birds Beach

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Scott Livingston
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 DR650

I made a great little discovery today and am happy to share.
    My trip today started in Auckland heading up SH16 and turning west on to Wharehine Rd, leading to Run Rd and turning south west on to Burma Rd.
    As I looped around and looked out west towards the Kaipara Harbour mouth an island of sand dunes appeared just offshore (name, Manukapua).
    When I rode down the hill towards this on to Okahukura Rd there was a gateway and road with a sign Okahukura Reserve.
    This rough road turns in to a sandy 4wd track, eventually popping out at the estuary overlooking the island.
    It was low tide and there were 4wd tyre tracks heading across the very shallow estuary to the island but without knobblies and company I decided to play it safe and rode north along the estuary edge before finding a 4wd track heading inland which looped back to the road I came in on.
    This was a lovely spot and the road was a bit of fun also.
    My next stop was to head north on to Journeys End Rd leading to a sleepy hollow with baches and a boat ramp which I assume is called Birds Beach.
    This ride included great views and a fun mixture of gravel and twisty seal – highly recommended as a day trip.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Amazing views out there. For any golfers on the site, Scott went past Tapora Golf Course a little 9 holer which you would have to yourselves most weekdays. Also passes Atiu Regional Park as you come down Run Road, which is well worth a visit, if you bring your tramping boots or MTB.

Anyone venturing onto the sand island would need to be very careful about tides I expect…. they will come in fast there.

Nice photos Scott

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.