Taranaki Rides

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Going for a ride in The ‘Naki? Post your plans here so other local riders can join in.

To get a notification every time someone posts in this thread press the subscribe button at the top of the first post on the page.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

No posts here at all? Seems strange, as plenty of Taranaki riders around.

Dave Young
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 50 SX 2018

Hi @oldbeer. I often encounter adventure bikes travelling the gravel roads in Taranaki but it seems that we’re quite poor at sharing our adventures online.

OldBeer
    Participant

Ah well, I’ll post some from my upcoming trip and see if that prompts a response!. My wife has decided she would like to come so that makes it pretty much a cert. Ill post here somewhere when I get my itinerary sorted.

The reason I’m up this late is that I found your Europe ride thread on advrider and got hooked – didnt get to every page but what I saw was impressive. Wifey and I had a great holiday in Andalucia in 2013 and I often found myself thinking how great it would be to go there on a bike.
    Cheers

OldBeer
    Participant

Look out Taranaki, we are coming…

Original plans for a solo trip changed when mrs oldbeer peeked over the shoulder and saw planning underway so its a two up trip now.

I have booked accommodation in Awakino for Thursday and Friday night.
    Will ride down Thursday and chill by the Mokau River that evening.

Friday I’d like to do Totoro, Kumara and Waitewhenua to Ohura, (then maybe Tazzamanui for supplies but adds 1.5 hours…) and back to Awakino via Waitaanga Road. What is at Mokau and Awakino these days? Anywhere to buy food? 4 square etc??? so I can avoid going to Taumaranui if we fancy a slow day? Two up we find 4 hours riding is enough – don’t want to spoil the vibe by having to rush anywhere.

Saturday will ride though Ahititi, Kiwi Road, Moki Road Okoki, Urenui and then to the big smoke. We will stay Saturday night in NPL somewhere in the middle of town.

Sunday, FWH through to Te Awamutu for Sunday night and home on Monday.

Should all be very cruisey.

So if anyone’s around on Saturday late afternoon, evening i’d be keen to say hi over a coffee or a beer.

Suggestions for a good Thai restaurant would be very welcome!

Cheers

Dave Young
    Participant

@oldbeer, The Thai House Express at 79 Devon Street W (Tel 06 758 1179) might be worth checking out.

OldBeer
    Participant

apologies Dave Young, mixing up my Youngs there…it was Mikes RR I looked at.. Lots of young people in the Naki obviously

Dave Young
    Participant

No worries, @oldbeer. I’ve had a quick look at your itinerary and it looks like you’ve planned a great trip (the weather forecast is looking favourable too). Whilst browsing over on Adventure Rider I saw that you have had your questions answered regarding supplies at Mokau and Awakino, so that’s all sorted. My wife suggests the Siam Thai Fusion is a good place to have meal.

OldBeer
    Participant

Thanks all, counting down now.
    We have ended up with a booking at the Thai Chefs 201 Devon at 6.30pm on Saturday. Anyone welcome to join us, let me know if you wanted to come and I’ll extend the booking. You never know who you might meet!

Cheers and thanks for the tips

Addo007
    Participant
    • Bike: Dr650se

Enjoy Oldbeer. That route you have chosen via Kiwi Rd is one of my favourites, and Waitaanga Rd is awesome. I would have joined you except that I am working nightshift all weekend. If you ever head this way again let us know, I would be keen to join up as I usually ride alone due to the shift work pattern.

OldBeer
    Participant

Thanks…I’ll be back. Lots of interesting looking roads I missed. Sitting at Mud Bay Uranus having a cuppa now. Moki had a lot of loose gravel. Kaka was fun. Kiwi was a bit of a surprise. Great before the tunnel and fairly cruiseu after. A good day.

OldBeer
    Participant

*urenui not Uranus haha

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.