Topic: The Great ADVNZ Rally 2017 | | Adventure Riding NZ

The Great ADVNZ Rally 2017

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports The Great ADVNZ Rally 2017

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joao de Almeida Tenreiro Joao de Almeida Tenreiro 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joao de Almeida Tenreiro
    Joao de Almeida Tenreiro
    Keymaster
    • Bike : R1200GS

Dear adventurers…

I don’t know if it is because I just came back from riding for 13 consecutive days in Morocco but I had an idea, and after discussing it with another fellow rider @grant-douglas I think it is time I propose it and get on and do it…

Here is the idea, announcing the first edition of “The Great ADVNZ Rally”.
    Organise a rally, open to the entire NZ adventure riding community. From North Auckland to Cape Reinga and back.
    The format is Rally format (Motorcycle rules), but bound to the public road rules. It would be great if we could get permission to access some (private tracks/forest/farms…)

In essence its intended to be a ride that you ride at your own pace self-guided and self catered. So sleeping accomodation is your choice, as this is going to be a 2 day ride at least.
    There will be several bike categories, (up to 500cc, up to 900cc and more than 900cc) ideally we will have some “prizes” at the end of each category, (probably a sticker) ;).

I have been developing a “back country” route from Auckland to Reinga and will be surveying the track in the coming months.

Planned date for the rally would be the Labour day weekend if we manage to get it organised.

What do We/I need help with?
    – Sponsorships (would be great, we could have bivouacs and support along the route)
    – Organising the ride, planning it, surveying it.
    – Ideas, comments…

How many of you would be keen to take part on it.

Cheers
    Joao

Chris McKinnon – Topher
    Participant
    • Bike : 2010 R1200GS, 2006 F650GS Dakar, TY175 JE

I’m keen. Based in Waikato so not much use for ad-hoc recce rides but can help with planned recce rides.
    Topher

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Highly modified Suzuki DR650

Not wanting to be a downer as I love the idea and would love to take part in it but…..

One major thing that needs to be considered up front is what if any obligations the event organisers & ADVNZ would have in regards to safety and accidents that could occur during such an event and what if any liabilities could arise from that.

As there wasn’t enough interest to form this group into an official club, which could then have taken out club insurance, then ownership of the ADVNZ ‘brand’ for lack of a better term comes back to myself and Jennifer personally.

Because of that we can’t sanction any events to run under the ADVNZ name if there is any risk of liability against us, as basically it could bankrupt us if the worst should happen and that’s a risk we are not prepared to take.

P.S. @jonibarteam, you really need to post some pics and words about your Morocco riding, I’m intending on doing a sidecar trip there in 2020.

Joao de Almeida Tenreiro
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback @eddieb, that is why I posted it as an idea, to have an open discussion.

Would a set of disclamers remove that problem of liability. in essence stating that ADVNZ has no responsibility what so ever in this event?
    I have participated in several organised rides where this seems to be the method used.

on the Morocco trip, I’ll come up with a Ride report. I have about 600GB of GoPro footage to go through and put a video up on my youtube channel.

Profile photo of Badjelly
    Badjelly
    Participant

Sounds like a great idea. Tentative entry x 1

Profile photo of Mark Claasen
    Mark Claasen
    Participant
    • Bike : 1200GSA KLR650NE WR450 RMX250, DR750,

I’m thinking there is no reason this could not be carried out but you might need to either not us ADVNZ name or get everyone to sign a waiver Eddie would have to decide if it came down to it

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    Joao de Almeida Tenreiro
    Keymaster

I must admit that I’m a noob organising this kind of thing, so, what about if we ask for help from people that organised things like this before, ie the GS rally in Raglan last year, does anyone know someone for that organisation?

They could potentially shine a light on the subject and help us out.

If in the end this is only one more “mates ride out” then let’s do it any way.

Cheers

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Had any more thoughts on this? Lots of people organise multi day ‘mates ride out’ events that reoccur every year. Contacting people like the GS rally organisers is a good idea, Suzuki have also expressed an interest in working with us in the past.

Joao de Almeida Tenreiro
    Keymaster

Yes, I’m very keen to go ahead with it.
    Happy to not use the “proposed” name because of implications. the idea is still to have it has “organised” as possible but within the spirit of mates rides.
    Any contacts for the GS and Suzuki guys?

Cheers
    Joao

Profile photo of OldBeer
    OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike : DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Joao, if you haven’t already done so, suggest you contact enduro0627 as he arranged a rally type event for the KLR ramblers group a little while ago. He also organises very informal monthly rides and there is a disclaimer that you are deemed to have signed and accepted if you turn up to join in.

Joao de Almeida Tenreiro
    Keymaster

I know Andrew has organised a few rides already, unfortunatly I’ve not been able to join in any of them for various reasons, but will very likely reach out to him for help on planning the thing.

For now. The event is going to change name to become:
    The JoniBarTeam great NZ rally 2017 🙂

I’ll ask my private graphical designer (wife) to create a logo like she did for my recent Morocco trip:

Profile photo of wass
    wass
    Participant
    • Bike : 16 HQV FE701

I don’t know how feasible it is to do this in NZ, but in RSA the Bike SA magazine holds an annual ‘Easter Namib Desert Run’ from Johannesburg to Swakopmund 1800km in Namibia. It is not an ‘official organised event’ for insurance purposes, you are still liable for your own actions, essentially it is just a biking holiday with the magazine inviting you along for the trip and booking accommodation/camping and doing a recce of the route for an admin fee. Each morning there is an informal info session of the days travels. You can come and go as you want. As it is a long event it is for 4x4s, bikes and quads. Normally friends organise themselves around a 4×4 support vehicle. There have been serious accidents and even deaths over the years (it has been going for 20+ years) but the organisers are not liable for anything, you do sign an indemnity form. The first one I did had about 120 people, the last one I did had about 700 people. A few times there had been people that misbehaved and they were asked to leave the trip, but those were few and far between.

There is a vid ‘2013 Easter Namib Desert Run’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNAWvJM-uXM

Profile photo of OldBeer
    OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike : DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Too good an idea to waste – there should be at least one of these a year when you don’t have freeze your extremities to participate.

Putting my hand up to scout some routes. I go to Maungatoroto from North Shore twice a month so can fit in a fair bit north of there on a day and more on a two day trip.

Cheers Joao!

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Certainly heading North there’s great gravel from the North side of the Brynderwyns over to Dargaville and the beaches down to Poutu Point (Which is still on my to-do list and need a GPS track for) and/or Glinks/Bayleys. From Dargaville head up Hokianga Road and onto Opanaki I think it was and wind up to Whirinaki is really good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.