Topic: Waikato Ride Outs | | Adventure Riding NZ - Part 2

Waikato Ride Outs

This topic contains 118 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Simon Simon 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Highly modified Suzuki DR650

Jake and I got some gravel in today, we only confirmed we were going out at 10 this morning.

A small group of us met at Caltex Dinsdale, me on the DR650, @jake-maryniak on his new DR650, Jennifer on her DR250, Aaron our son on his GN250, he’s a learner and has only been on the road a week so didn’t do the main ride with us, just came across town, plus Nigel on his CX500.

Aaron went his own way and the rest of us cruised out to Raglan for lunch. Black Sands Cafe by the only bike parking in Raglan was the lunch venue, however Jennifers Seafood Chowder was so bad she had to take it back and got a refund.

We split at Raglan and Jennifer and Nigel went home while Jake and I headed out to Ruapuke Beach and then did Old Mountain Road on the way back to Hamilton.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Anyone interested in going to have a look at this tomorrow if the weather holds out?

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Considering going out for a ride tomorrow with @jake-maryniak, we could go to Kawhai via the Bridal Veil Falls road for a gentle back road explore, or to Auckland for the Ulysses Toy Run, or somewhere else entirely.

Profile photo of Removed User
    Removed User

Get over this way sometime! You guys seem to ride the same old places…
    I don’t mind riding on my own but you gotta get out and explore a tad more towards the East fellas!

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Mark Wareham said:
    Get over this way sometime! You guys seem to ride the same old places…
    I don’t mind riding on my own but you gotta get out and explore a tad more towards the East fellas!

I’ve been mapping roads over to the West and think I have all the good stuff now, is there much over your way?

Pureora Forest needs more investigation I think.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Well Jake wimped out yesterday and no one else spoke up so I went out on my own to Kawhia.

On the way out I checked out and tracked Kawhia Road past Bridal Veil Falls which is marked as a dead end but isn’t, there’s now a page up for Kawhia Road to check out if you want to go and ride it.

There were a bunch of other adventure riders in Kawhia, a group from Auckland mostly on BMW 1200 GS’s with a KLR650 and KTM thrown in, plus a couple from Te Awamutu on a R1200GS and F700GS and 2 guy riding a 1200 Tenere and a BMW S1000.

5 minutes after leaving Kawhia I hit a bee which stung me on the neck in revenge and the whole trip home my jacket collar rubbed on that which was uncomfortable, but didn’t interupt the enjoyment of the ride.

Profile photo of Removed User
    Removed User

I guess if you are looking for metal stay West….
    BUT, we have some of the best roads here, metal and tar but less travelled….

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Agreed, there are some nice quiet swoopy country roads out East.

We need to do a Coromandel explore day, I’ve found some more roads to explore up there.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’m going up to Coromandel to explore some roads on Saturday 28th Feb if anyone is interested.

My primary objective is to record some new tracks for the website and as such this will not be a fluid ride. It will be a slow ride with lots of stopping to take pics, look at maps etc and quite possibly a lot of back tracking due to dead end roads.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Hmmm, the weather’s looking a bit crap, If it’s crap on the day I’ll reschedule for another day.

Profile photo of MarkH
    MarkH
    Participant
    • Bike : DR650

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    We split at Raglan and Jennifer and Nigel went home while Jake and I headed out to Ruapuke Beach and then did Old Mountain Road on the way back to Hamilton.

Looks familiar, did you guys see a DR650 coming the other way just after you started along Old Mountain Road?

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

@markh said:
    Looks familiar, did you guys see a DR650 coming the other way just after you started along Old Mountain Road?

Yep we saw you, I was going to stop but you kept on going.

Profile photo of MarkH
    MarkH
    Participant
    • Bike : DR650

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    but you kept on going.

I must have been having too much fun to stop!
    That Old Mountain Road is a pretty nice bit of gravel riding, that’s for sure!

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

@eddieb said:
    I’m going up to Coromandel to explore some roads on Saturday 28th Feb if anyone is interested.

My primary objective is to record some new tracks for the website and as such this will not be a fluid ride. It will be a slow ride with lots of stopping to take pics, look at maps etc and quite possibly a lot of back tracking due to dead end roads.

The weather is looking good so I’m getting all set up for this tomorrow.

Profile photo of Eddieb
    Eddieb
    Keymaster

Anyone interested in a ride to Raglan for brunch?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.