Welcome to the Forums.

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Welcome to the Forums.

This topic contains 97 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Xenia Sägesser 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Welcome to the Adventure Riding NZ Forums.

These forums went live on the 12th of September 2013, so while there’s not much content now over time as people contribute they will become a source of knowledge and sharing of all things Adventure Riding in New Zealand.

Please read the rules, tell us a bit about yourself, your bike or ask any questions you have.

Eddie

Dean Saunders
    Participant

Hi
    my names Dino and i ride a Honda.

Thanks Eddie
    You have done a fantastic job getting this up and running, well done mate, bloody fantastic.
    Gonna be fun watching (and hopefully contributing) this site grow into the ADVriding hub of NZ.
    When i get the hang of this place i’ll be a more frequent visitor.

zaTTaz
    Participant
    • Bike: CBR250RR, DR350, WR450

Hey guys, found this through Kiwibikers forum. Looking at buying my first bike after coming from 4wding (well not a hell of a lot over the past two years.)
    Originally I wanted a classic, bobber (English style bobber not tarded American) or just standard sort of style cruiser but I can’t find anything I like that fits my budget and needs.

So then I started looking at Sportsbikes. Have got my eye on a few at the moment that I quite like and a friend just got an older CBR250 which seems the tits, but part of the draw of 4x4ing is the fact I like to explore, often spontaneously and I can’t see a sports bike enjoying lots of gravel (or me on it).

I swore I would never have a dirt bike as I can be a bit of a nut and I’m getting to old to hurt myself and heal as quick as I used to, but, I just can’t imagine been happy plodding along and having to U-turn everytime I hit gravel and wonder what is further up the road, so budget and the right bike suiting I’m heading towards the ‘adventure’/duel purpose route.

Anyway, that’s my life at the moment haha. Other than that I live in Picton (lots of good tracks in this area, another plus for a duel purpose) and work for a family business based around Paua or ‘Blue’ Pearls. So if you’re in the dog box for leaving the missus at home while you hit the trails too often give me a yell and I’ll sort you out with a deal on some shiney things for her haha

Good luck with the site, looking good so far. Hopefully I’ll be able to contribute in the future depending what I end up riding.

Cheers!

Taz

chekamus
    Participant

Hi all
    Im living in Southland, not been here long, had lots of different bikes in the past, but currently bike less, hope to be getting one in the next couple of weeks, prob a dr650 or a drz 400, or maybe at xt 660r , cant decide at the moment, cant wait to get out and start exploring the area by bike,
    if anyone else is in the area and fancies a ride get in touch
    cheers

Anonymous

hey guys!

my name’s Mike, im about to move to auckland from Mexico, I own a g650gs sertao, and I wanted a little bit of advise on importing my bike, can anyone help?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Hi Mikel

Welcome to New Zealand!

Check out this page http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/getting-started/useful-links/ there are a couple of links on there about importing.

You may have to pay an import duty or taxes, depending on how long you have owned the vehicle, and you will have to take the motorcycle for a ‘Warrant of Fitness’ which is a roadworthy check. As it will be the vehicles first check in New Zealand they will be extra vigilant for any mechanical issues with the bike and adherence to local mechanical requirements.
    All light lenses must have visible CE Standards markings on them and the headlight reflector must dip to the left. That is usually the biggest issue as it you are from a ‘drive on the right’ country and your headlight dips right then a new headlight is required which can be expensive.
    If the brake lines are braided steel they have to have crimped ends and visible standards markings.

Make sure you have all your ownership and export documentation and it usually goes smoothly.

Hobbyhorse
    Participant
    • Bike: 1978 BMW R80/7 set up as adv bike

Another newbie to the forum.

I am older biker who has a hankering to spend some time on gravel roads and my current ride, a 1988 BMW R80RT, is not the bike for it thus I am on the lookout for a second bike. I would like to get an earlier R80GS or ST as I am familiar with them and can keep them going.

My plan at the moment is to tow the bike from Auckland, behind the motorhome, to the south island and do the Molesworth and as many more roads as I can fit in the time available next summer.

Looking forward to meeting up with like minded folks from the site.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Welcome Hobbyhorse

I’ve just acquired a R80TIC which I am going to put a sidecar on and do some gravel on it.

mishmop
    Participant

Hello Edward,

I have a dr650 and have been riding for 6 years now and want to go riding with some like minded riders as my boys no longer ride. I have traveled around the world on my bike but have done little in nz where can I find some boys to go off on missions with?

Thanks

Misha

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Hi Misha

Where in New Zealand are you?

mishmop
    Participant

Hello Edward,

I’m based in AUCKLAND.

Regards

xdodox (R.I.P)
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW G650 X-Challenge

Hi
    I am Daniel. Living now one year in Auckland, actually from germany. Bought a BMW GS Dakar 2 mounth ago. I like it to ride out on gravel road or harder terrain. Looking for guys or groups who can show me some interesting tracks.
    Keymaster, respect for this homepage. Its interesting and full of information. Keep going!!!
    Cheers

Daniel

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So there at least one other Auckland rider looking for someone to ride with. There’s plenty more on here.

If you go out for a ride do a little ride report and post up some pics, as other Aucklanders see them they should pipe up to join you.

glitch_oz
    Participant

Hi everyone
    Just saying g’day from Melbourne.

Eddie, stellar job on the forum… good stuff and congrats!!
    Goodie and I will fly in on the 25th Oct for a fortnight of exploring the Northland on a couple of Posties which are kindly provided by a friend in Hamilton.
    Might even catch up??

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Hey Glitch, nice of you to drop into my patch.

Yeah i’d be keen to catch up. Let me know when you are going to have a few spare minutes in your busy schedule and we can work something out.

Who’s supplying the bikes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.