Welcome to the Forums.

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Welcome to the Forums.

This topic contains 97 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Xenia Sägesser 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Scott Livingston
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 DR650

North of auckland has plenty of great gravel roads to ride. These are a few of my favorites.
    Krippner road, Puhoi – the views at the top of the hill are amazing.
    Old Kaipara road, Kaipara – at one spot you can see the Sea on both sides east and west.
    Mountain road, Kaiwaka – you’ll see an old homestead on the point that will make you stop and wish you lived there.
    Finlayson Brook road, Waipu – it,s narrow, there is a fiord, there’s trees growing over the road, spectacular views, you get the picture.

glitch_oz
    Participant

Will try to stitch something, Hamilton isn’t THAT big. 🙂
    Bernard (platypus121) from the AT forum has offered 2 of his Posties.
    He’s the one who’s done all the long-range touring on a CT over here.
    Excellent ride reports…classy!

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4296
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4678

And the run-up to one of those months-long rides:
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4107

Catch up later 🙂

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite>@adscott8 said:</cite>
    North of auckland has plenty of great gravel roads to ride. These are a few of my favorites.
    Krippner road, Puhoi – the views at the top of the hill are amazing.
    Old Kaipara road, Kaipara – at one spot you can see the Sea on both sides east and west.
    Mountain road, Kaiwaka – you’ll see an old homestead on the point that will make you stop and wish you lived there.
    Finlayson Brook road, Waipu – it,s narrow, there is a fiord, there’s trees growing over the road, spectacular views, you get the picture.

…and only then I saw this:
    What a chest of Gold…thank YOU very much, sir!!
    Will go and dig through this immediately….ok to come back to you if I don’t find something?
    Thanks again for the tips!! 🙂

Scott Livingston
    Participant

You are most welcome.
    Definitely come back to me if you cannot find the roads I’m referring to. Happy to help finding these.
    And the good news is there are plenty more.
    I’m an ex motox, ex trail ride now adventure ride guy who ambles along pretty slowly and likes getting off the beaten track, enjoying the scenery and quieter country air – so if you like the same you will enjoy the roads I named plus any of the numerous gravel roads north of Waitoki (riding up Weranui Rd) between State highway 16 and 1 and up to Wellsford.
    The Waikato ride on the 13 September to Old Mountain Rd (looks like a cool twisty climb), Te Akau and then to Port Waikato (which I have never been to) looks awesome so am thinking of doing this and might see you there.
    I’m also planning a 3 to 4 day ride from Auckland to Raglan to Kawhia to Ohura to New Plym to the forgotten highway and back up via Mangakino in early October so will looking for tips from others on “best gravel roads to ride” hopefully from members of this forum.
    Cheers.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Sounds like some nice roads up there. Do you have a GPS? we are always looking for new track submissions to share with other riders.

glitch_oz
    Participant

I’m also planning a 3 to 4 day ride from Auckland to Raglan to Kawhia to Ohura to New Plym to the forgotten highway and back up via Mangakino in early October so will looking for tips from others on “best gravel roads to ride” hopefully from members of this forum.
    Cheers.

HUrray….perhaps I can help a little here.
    Happy to post up the Gmaps links if needed, but you’ll most probably know most/ all of the roads anyway.
    http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4334

Scott Livingston
    Participant

Hi. No gps sorry. I plan and write my trip itineraries down road by road road, turn left or right using google but should find out more about using a gps I guess. Next time I head up north I,ll take a camera and share some pics. Might see you on the 13th Sept. Thanks.

glitch_oz
    Participant

….. who ambles along pretty slowly and likes getting off the beaten track, enjoying the scenery and quieter country air – so if you like the same you will enjoy the roads I named…..

Hi. No gps sorry.

Yo, that’s the type of riding we enjoy most. Then add a camera/ good tucker and local plonk before the most enjoyable part of meeting the locals and learning their ways,…and we’ve got ourselves a good time!
    Same here, no GPS…planning via Google + Gmaps, then paper maps and dead-reckoning when out there.
    Thanbks again for the tips.
    Should start a new topic, really…sorry for hijacking the welcome-thread. Move as you wish.

Gavin Gray
    Participant
    • Bike: R80GS Basic, KTM 990 Adventure, ZReX!!

Hi. I’ve been a BMW R80GS owner for the last 20 years and now have a KTM 990 Adventure to go with it. The local bike scene is mostly sports bikes and hammering it out to the Whangamomona pub – which is good fun but you can have too much of a good thing. Looking to do more exploring of our fantastic back yard.
    Cheers
    Gavin

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Good choice Gavin, I’ve had a 950 and R80G/S and R100PD, and have recently acquired a R80 which I’m putting a sidecar on and will still be used for gravel.

You’ve done the old Whangamomona Road I presume?
    http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/gps-tracks-rides/north-island-tracks/old-whangamomona-road/

Gavin Gray
    Participant
    • Bike: R80GS Basic, KTM 990 Adventure, ZReX!!

There’s a loop via the old Whanga road to Autuhia Station ( Bridge to Somewhere ) and then through it which comes out close to the Kohouratahi hall on SH43. It’s a popular ride with the trail bike set and I’ve done it myself. Sections of it are blue papa and like greased glass if at all wet (as you’ve mentioned), which is pretty much always.
    I’d be keen to try it on a big bike after a prolonged dry spell but otherwise I mostly stick to gravel roads around Taranaki/Taumarunui/Waitomo.

I see you’re heading to the Kiwi. I’m planning the same if the weather’s semi-cooperative – maybe I’ll see you and some of the other members there.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Keep an eye out for us, we should be wearing Adventure Riding NZ gear and I’m hoping to have a small banner up.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@glitch_oz said:
    Hi everyone
    Just saying g’day from Melbourne.

Eddie, stellar job on the forum… good stuff and congrats!!
    Goodie and I will fly in on the 25th Oct for a fortnight of exploring the Northland on a couple of Posties which are kindly provided by a friend in Hamilton.
    Might even catch up??

@glitch_oz, getting close now. How long are you in Hamilton for? I’m in Rotorua for a wedding Sunday, back Monday afternoon.

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    @glitch_oz, getting close now. How long are you in Hamilton for? I’m in Rotorua for a wedding Sunday, back Monday afternoon.

Coming in late-ish Sat.
    A Raglan-loop for the Sunday, getting chaperoned by an XT250 hehhee…. then heading North early Monday morning to try and bumblebee our way through/ around AKL to Whatipu Wharf/ Anawhata/ Piha/ Karekare to have a look at the old Coastal Railway tracks hanging off the sea-cliffs.

If possible, shoot me your mobile# on a pm and I’ll give you a tingle Sat night and we’ll see what happens.
    If not this time, then perhaps next time in the far south?
    (Southern SI planned for Feb/ March ’16, 2 weeks, group 6-8, concentrating on the Southern Highlands and the South Coast, not much “tourist stuff”).

Rustle your troops and we’ll make it a joint-effort! 🙂

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’m around till about 11:30 on Sunday morning, not sure what time you are heading out.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.