Welcome to the Forums.

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Welcome to the Forums.

This topic contains 97 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Xenia Sägesser 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I hope @glitch_oz bought his wet weather gear with him from Aus

awa355
    Participant
    • Bike:

Not too sure where to post this query, or how to start a new thread (if needed). On a recent ride along Rangitoto rd I turned left into Ahoroa road. I followed this for a while then because of fuel/time etc I returned to my original route.
    According to Google, Ahoroa becomes Waipa Valley rd, then meets up with Mangaokewa rd. There are a number of long no exit roads branching off all through here. Mangaokewa rd starts off the Bennydale road Puketutu end, and swings around through the country north of Bennydale and emerges between Bennydale and Pureora forest park.

Has anyone explored these roads recently? I’m keen to go tiki touring through this area, maybe next weekend.

Kenny013
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure

Hi all I’m Stan from the Netherlands.
    Currently in Auckland waiting for my bike (Kenny an KTM 990 Adventure) to get in.
    If you got any suggestions for nice adventures routes, please let me know.
    I will be here till the beginning of February.

To have a look at my past journey’s see http://www.stanswebsite.nl
    Thanks

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@kenny013 said:
    Hi all I’m Stan from the Netherlands.
    Currently in Auckland waiting for my bike (Kenny an KTM 990 Adventure) to get in.
    If you got any suggestions for nice adventures routes, please let me know.
    I will be here till the beginning of February.

To have a look at my past journey’s see http://www.stanswebsite.nl
    Thanks

Hi Stan and Welcome to NZ

Do you have a defined route through New Zealand and what sort of riding are you looking for?

We’ve got quite a few routes loaded here http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/gps-tracks-rides/ and they vary from easy gravel through to stuff you’d have to be quite competent on your 990 to do.

Eddie

Kenny013
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure

Hi Eddie,

I’ve not got a defined route jet, though I probably will visit the usual tourist places.

I found the GPS tracks, they look great, though there are a lot of them and I was hoping that one could
    point out the best, most beautiful, special New Zealand for me to do. As I unfortunately can’t do them all.

I think I can say I’m a well experienced all road rider and love river crossings, not to fund of deep sand or
    slippery (red clay) mud, but if not to long I will get through.
    For instance, in Australia I drove up to Cape York, with a Honda Africa Twin (750cc) and
    in South America 450 Km strictly 4 wheel drive track. See my website.

Stan

nzrian
    Participant
    • Bike: DR650, BSA lightning

hello all, i have just signed up.
    i have a DR650 that i imported from OZ when we lived over there for a bit.
    Good to be back in NZed.
    been doing a few rides around the queenstown area, and have been surprised at the amount of good riding locally.
    Skippers canyon. The Nevis road, Crown range road and Macetown to name a few.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@nzrian said:

hello all, i have just signed up.
    i have a DR650 that i imported from OZ when we lived over there for a bit.
    Good to be back in NZed.
    been doing a few rides around the queenstown area, and have been surprised at the amount of good riding locally.
    Skippers canyon. The Nevis road, Crown range road and Macetown to name a few.

Welcome nzrian

Do you happen to have a Garmin GPS by any chance? The Nevis is the only one of those we have on the site so far and I’d be keen to get more around that area.

Check out http://www.bikeweeknz.com/, an event based at the Bannockburn pub starting end of January.

Eddie

nzrian
    Participant

Hi Eddie, unfortunately I am old school in the navigation department, and don’t use a GPS on the bike.

I have been down the odd wrong gravel road lately so maybe I should think about getting one.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@nzrian said:I have been down the odd wrong gravel road lately so maybe I should think about getting one.

Thats when the adventure happens.

I rarely use mine for navigating and more for figuring out where I actually went afterwards.

nzrian
    Participant

Haha, that is true.
    It’s not about the destination, the journey getting there is what it’s all about.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@kenny013 said:
    Hi Eddie,

I’ve not got a defined route jet, though I probably will visit the usual tourist places.

I found the GPS tracks, they look great, though there are a lot of them and I was hoping that one could
    point out the best, most beautiful, special New Zealand for me to do. As I unfortunately can’t do them all.

I think I can say I’m a well experienced all road rider and love river crossings, not to fund of deep sand or
    slippery (red clay) mud, but if not to long I will get through.
    For instance, in Australia I drove up to Cape York, with a Honda Africa Twin (750cc) and
    in South America 450 Km strictly 4 wheel drive track. See my website.

Stan

You can’t really go wrong with anything in the South Island but I’d pick out The Rainbow or The Molesworth, Black Forest Station, Taking your bike across Lake Wakatipu on the old steamer and down the Von Road, and The Nevis which has more river crossings than you can shake a stick at.

In the North Island I’d recommend 90 Mile beach or Glicks Gully to Baylys Beach, riding up a wide empty beach is awesome.

The 42nd Traverse is good fun though a bit tighter with some steeper up and downs and a few clay sections and I’m a fan of The Motu Road and around Lake Waikaremoana.

Maybe you should start a Ride Report thread?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@oldone said:
    Not too sure where to post this query, or how to start a new thread (if needed). On a recent ride along Rangitoto rd I turned left into Ahoroa road. I followed this for a while then because of fuel/time etc I returned to my original route.
    According to Google, Ahoroa becomes Waipa Valley rd, then meets up with Mangaokewa rd. There are a number of long no exit roads branching off all through here. Mangaokewa rd starts off the Bennydale road Puketutu end, and swings around through the country north of Bennydale and emerges between Bennydale and Pureora forest park.

Has anyone explored these roads recently? I’m keen to go tiki touring through this area, maybe next weekend.

Maybe start a new thread in Places to ride? To start a new thread scroll down past the existing topics and there’s a box for starting a new thread.

It looks interesting and I’d be keen to join you some time for a look around and I’m sure @jake-maryniak and a few others would be keen too.
    How fast do you get along on the gravel on that scooter?

awa355
    Participant
    • Bike:

<cite>@nzrian said:</cite>
    Hi Eddie, unfortunately I am old school in the navigation department, and don’t use a GPS on the bike.

I have been down the odd wrong gravel road lately so maybe I should think about getting one.

<cite>@nzrian said:</cite>

I’m from the same school. I find that zooming in close enough to read a small gravel road name on a screen, means the start/end points are out of view. With a Topo map, I can see TeKuiti at one end of my route and Mangakino at the other end with all the road names, topographical features in between. Folds up small, and costs $9. A GPS is different from google maps but riding on public roads, I cannot and dont feel I need a GPS.

awa355
    Participant
    • Bike:

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>

It looks interesting and I’d be keen to join you some time for a look around and I’m sure @jake-maryniak and a few others would be keen too.
    How fast do you get along on the gravel on that scooter?

Eddie, Maybe next year when I get back onto a dual purpose bike I will try and team up with others. The scooter was only a tempory fill in while we helped a family member out financially. I tend to ride by myself because no one wants to be seen tagging along with a scooter and it is too slow to run with the trail bikes. On the road I sit around the 75-80kph mark. Even on gravel roads I like to wind it up, but the 10″ wheels limit speed a bit as every corrugation makes itself felt more so than 19/21″ wheels.

I am going down to explore the Ahoroa Mangaokewa roads on either sunday or monday.

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

Both my TTR and my sidecar sit comfortably on about 85-90 kms, so that is what I tend to stick to. So if you ever want to go for a ride, you won’t be by your self 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.