Welcome to the Forums.

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Welcome to the Forums.

This topic contains 97 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Xenia Sägesser 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Welcome Sage, where in NZ are you?

Sage650
    Participant

Hi Edward.
    I’m based on the North Shore just outside Auckland. With each trip we’re getting closer and closer to understanding the fine line between having all thats needed and that that is not on a long weekend trip.

Aaron Martin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2016 Africa Twin

Hi all, I’m based in Ohaupo (20km south of Hamilton) and have been riding an old WR200 on trail rides for the last year or so, but realised that we were seeing the best scenery driving to and from the events, so just recently bought a 2013 KLR650 and went through the learner and now restricted license process.

Looking forward to exploring some back country roads, already swapped over to more gravel oriented tyres and added crash bars, but the draw of the bike sitting in the garage has also seen me riding to work most days.

JamesGale
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW F650GS (2002)

Greetings fellow riders.
    I’m a 40 year old virgin biker. When I say “virgin” I mean new to biking, not the other thing. And I’m probably closer to 45, but that doesn’t sound as interesting.
    I’m based in the Hawkes Bay and have recently passed my learners license and bought myself a 2002 BMW F650GS. It’s on road tires at the moment which is ok while I’m coming to terms with tarmac riding.
    I plan to do some proper riding when I get the chance. Some off-road adventures. Maybe a long trip around this great country.
    I’d love to hangout and learn from some other riders.

Colin Cooper
    Participant
    • Bike: Cagiva Gran Canyon, KTM 1190R

Hello, I am Colin.
    I have a Cagiva Gran Canyon in NZ, and as I have been in China for over 3 years, a KTM 1190R here to keep me sane.
    Not too sure on the activity here, but hope to keep in touch with all you adventure riders, and maybe join in on a ride when back for holidays.
    Cheers, Colin

relaxed rider
    Participant

Hi everyone !

I like to introduce myself here to the forum, I´ve just joined….

As well as being new to the forum I´m fairly new to NZ as well.
    I´m hoping to find some riding buddies and cool tracks here.

I´ve been here now for just over one year and am based between Opotiki and Ohope in the Bay of Plenty.
    My two bikes are a XR650L (fat pony racing) and a ´09 Beta RR 525 , both of them were shipped by me from Germany as I got the XR very cheap with less than 10K miles just prior leaving home and the Beta as I thing that I could probably not get the same amount of bike here for the money it would have sold for in Germany.
    I´ve ridden offroad / Enduro bikes since being 15 or so and started with an good old XT 500 as my first registered one in 1986 – since then I had: XT 550, TT 350, TT 600 59X, XT 600 2KF, DR 350 and a sweet SRX 600. Despite worked for years as a motorcycle mechanic I always sticked to the singles and I still think that 150kg is heavy for an offroad bike.
    In the early years I travelled all over Europe with those bikes.
    I´ve done some competitions over the first years….but always in the hobby class without to much interest to be the fastest of the day – to ride a clean line and keep the bones intact was always my preference.
    Buying the Beta in 2009 brought me back into business and I started to do two hour enduro races quite regularly…still with the very same attitude not to crack the bones. With some friends we went with our bikes to Romania and Italy every year to encounter absolute great terrain and fun which was not that easy to find in Germany.
    Suprisingly for me was that these tracks are not that easy to find here in NZ either.
    Quite a shortage of single lane tracks through the bush….
    All the public back roads seemed to be shingled to a very high standart and it is quite difficult to encounter any tricky stuff…if only the forestry would not be that serious with their gates…
    Last week I was happy enough to drive through the 42 Traverse track in the Tongariro Forest with my 4×4 – I would like to do this again with the XR – but not without some buddies in company.
    surely there have to be some tracks the like closer to the Bay of Plenty
    Since being here in NZ I´ve done some trail rides with the Beta but would like to discover the hinterland with the XR as well. Otipi / Porters …

See you sometime, all the best for now, happy riding !
    T.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Hi All, to introduce myself

I’m based on the North Shore/Rodney and have enjoyed footling around the many great gravel roads around here. I have explored most of them up to Wellsford on a DL650. Have recently purchased a DRZ250 to do some more off road stuff but very much a novice at this. Am enjoying the DRZ, nice to ride a smaller bike again and fun in the gravel.

This is a great site, thanks Eddie for your work and good luck with the incorporation.

Cheers

Three Dawg
    Participant

Hi New Zealand

I seem to have been here a little while, but I don’t think I’ve introduced myself properly. I live in the Highlands of Scotland and ride a 1997 1100GS with various ‘farkles’ as well as a 1985 Laverda RGS with its fair share of mods. I’m married to Mrs 3D who is a Kiwi from the Waikato. I’ve visited your fine country on many occasions but have only recently done any adventure riding when we hire a Super Tenere out of Christchurch about three years ago. Most of my advriding has been done in Africa, including a ten week trip in 2015 on my own GS from Cape Town to Lake Tanganyika in Tanzania and back.

Anyway, I’ve booked space in a container to bring my GS to NZ in late November for a little over two months. I’ve been studying the routes posted here and reckon I must be about an intermediate rider as I’ve done the Von Road, Nevis, Paradise road, Dansey’s Pass and Hakataramea roads on the Yamaha without mishap. Will be working to put together a tour that will allow us to take in as many of these roads as possible and we’re really looking forward to exploring more of the back country in both islands, as well as catching up with the NZ whanau.

Couple of pics of the GS. Wilbers, HID lights, SW Motech pegs, Mosko panniers, TT gearbox reinforcement plates etc. Plan to fit a set of Michelin Anakee Wilds before the bike goes.

Tropic of Cap

Refuelling Tanzania

Jimbob_gizzy
    Participant

Hey all.

James here, located in good ole Gisborne.

As of yesterday I am a proud owner of a 2017 Suzuki DR650SE, purchased brand new off Evan at Courtesy Motorcycles (absolute top bloke to deal with) located in Parmy North.

I was a tad nervous riding “Debbie” back to Gisborne, not having riden a bike on the road for approx 7 years I was quite rusty on my cornering skills. That said I made it back in one piece and Debbie seem to have enjoyed her self.

Below are a few pictures from my short but super fun ride back to Gisborne.

Stopped for a look around at Lake Tutira
    null

Had to stop in for a Pepsi (where was the darn Coke!!!)
    null

Almost home, at the look out half what through The wharerata’s
    nullnull

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Welcome @jimbob_gizzy

Check out this thread for other riders and rides in you area. Click the subscribe button at the top of the first post and you’ll get notified every time any one posts in there: http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/forums/topic/gisbourne-rides/

Uploaded pictures can only be up to 500kb in file size as otherwise we’d run out of space really quick.

Eddie

camoclaw
    Participant

hi all, cameron here(camo) hakatere(ashburton) started adv late 80’s xr500a, also had xt400,xr600, only road bikes at moment, looking at getting back into it soon bucket list #1 UTAH mmmaybe oz first as warm up

marcro
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 500 EXC F

Hi all, Have had all sorts of bikes over a lifetime, not long ago I had a DR650 I thought it would be a great ADV bike. However started riding endurocross with a KTM 500 EXC F…. has been lots of fun but has highlighted that I am no longer as young as I thought. So the plan is to get into a larger ADV bike and wander the back roads beaches and forestry tracks.

Located in Northland

marcro

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, 1992 Africa Twin! (Temporarily)

Hi guys welcome aboard.
    There are rumours of a ride around northland this spring…hope to see you on that
    Cheers

glitch_oz
    Participant

<cite>@oldbeer said:</cite>
    Hi guys welcome aboard.
    There are rumours of a ride around northland this spring…hope to see you on that
    Cheers

Ohhh…when, where, who, how long?

marcro
    Participant
    • Bike: KTM 500 EXC F

Hope to have new bike by spring……..fingers crossed.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.