Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

This topic contains 85 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 6 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author

Brent Finlay
    Participant

Going for Ride Mon 25th from Caltex UpperHutt Meet 9.30 .Keen to hit Pylon track and then cruise to Martinbourgh then Possible Western Lakes .Big need to Get some riding in before Edwards Up Coming central ride

To get a notification every time someone posts in this thread press the subscribe button at the top of the first post on the page.

billingtond
    Participant

An riders out there Wellington region who is keen to blast some gravel and moderate dirt tracks in the region no issues going over the hill if need be.

billingtond
    Participant

Hi is that Monday 25 July if so keen to tag along

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Hi billingtond. You going to the lunch at Gladstone this Sunday? I’ll see you there. If you are, see you at Caltex Rimutakas at 10.00am. I’ll be the idiot hooning it on the R80 sidecar. I also ride an R100GS from time to time. I lurk over on ADVrider.com in the NZ section.

billingtond
    Participant

hi sorry will not be on Sunday ride heading over tomorrow to hit the gravel roads

billingtond
    Participant

hi is 25 Monday this month if so yes keen to tag along thanks

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

That post was from Jan 25th.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

BMWOR run thru Summerhill & Admirals Rd 17/7/16:

Given all the anguish about the weather in the lead up to this ride, the weather was surprisingly civilised. There had been all sorts of warning about potential cancellations due to expected ‘Tempests’. This was fully supported by the weather forecasters, who I have noticed have become very conservative – almost the weather equivalents of ‘Repent, the Apocalype is nigh’. I like Hubert Kriegels statement & acceptance – ‘if it rains – I get wet’. I was actually really looking forward to a wet muddy ride – on a chair it’s harder (but not impossible) to fall off…

So prepared for the worst, but expecting better, I met with Wayne at Caltex Rimuatakas at the very civilised hr of 10.00 am. No sign of any BMWOR rider prepared to embrace the dirty end of the spectrum, though a few oil & water head GSs did waft past just as we were about to leave.

Wayne decided the KTM needed to taunt a Merc, so left me behind before we hit the Rimutakas – but then he has experience with the sidecar buggering solo flow on left hand bends before, so… I have to say the Rimutakas is brutal on this chair. Fun though. Probably good for building inner thigh & upper body strength.

Coffee & scones at Martinborough at the Village Cafe, as we were 20 mins early for the scheduled meet point. Really, that’s the way that civilised runs should be managed. And given we were on a BMWOR run, we had standards to maintain.

Bill managed to find us there. He was mounted on his very nice R60 ISDTR replica. Sounds gorgeous. Unfortunately the other BMW owners didn’t manage to find us. Not to worry. We’ll see them at the Pub.

I let Wayne & Bill lead out Hinakura Rd. Best not to startle them with the handling prowess of the sidecar on seal. A wee regroup at the intersection of Hinkura & Moeraki Rds. Not that we got separated at all… I was surprised to find out that Wayne hadn’t ever been out to this piece of the Wairarapa. We’ll have to organise another ride to allow him to explore the Wairarapa coast.

The start of the gravel. I demurred on leading from here, but couldn’t resist from the gate at Ngakouri Rd.

Probably frightened the stock. But at least that got me far enough ahead to be able to take some photos as the guys came through. Now I know how Bart feels. At least parts of the road are slow enough that my camera can keep up.

The road was in excellent condition. If anything, the road was too well swept. Instead of being able slide, I was getting too much grip on some of the corners.

Got a couple of rain splats here, that might have been melted hail. But that was our lot for the day. No wind. ‘Tempest’. Hmmm.

Bill

After the Summerhill Rd gate, I nearly missed a corner when I realised that Bill was right behind me & was giving chase.

Later, coming down downhill thru some coarse gravel, the bike started to run onto one cylinder. I thought it might just be a bit of crap in the fuel, & was sure it’d just blow thru. After all, Airheads just don’t break down. They have a quality reputation to uphold. But about a km down the road, it hadn’t resolved it’s self. So I thought I’d better stop, & speak sternly to the bike about it’s behaviour. It quickly became apparent that the bike was pissing petrol, & that something was missing from the bottom of the carb. I must have hooked the float bowl clip with the bottom clip of my boots, & that’d dropped the float bowl – a km up the road. I turned off the fuel & waited for Wayne & Bill to catch up. Oh the ignominy…

Fortunately, Wayne was able to pillion me back up the road. I must congratulate Wayne. I am a very reluctant pillion (I’ve been terrorized by a prior experience with a former KLR owner). He was very calm & accomodating.

We found the float bowl sitting sweetly on the left hand track of the road, back where things started running rough.

Back to the Chair. Fortunately the gasket was hanging on the clip, so we had all the bits to reassemble things. But I still had issues with gas leaking, so popped the chair up onto the right cylinder to check what was going on. This apparently created a great photo opportunity (too good for Wayne to miss) of Steve’s arse pointing out from underneath the chair. Well how else are you supposed to fix these things? Seems to me that popping the chair in the air is only logical. Seemed to amuse Bill no end though. Apparently Urals don’t do that.

Not very flattering…

By the end of the ride Bill & Wane seemed to have hit it off well. Holding hands seemed a trifle excessive on a first date though…

Relatively uneventful ride down to Gladstone Pub. Still missing the phantom BMWOR, but that’s all to the good – the pub was fairly busy.

In keeping with Oater’s original plans, we then did the whole thing in reverse.

At the beginning of that run, nearly had a side swipe with a Dodge Journey on a particularly narrow piece of road. He didn’t slow down, & didn’t move to give me any room. I was already across as far as I could be, on the left of the road. I reckon he missed having a stripe from a BMW cylinder by about a cm. Honestly thought I was history.

Polite people don’t talk about the emergency defecation situation…

Funny how the return run always seems to take less apparent time. Didn’t get to go out to the coast because time was moving on, & the day was cooling. Back to Martinborough, fueled up (still getting used to the little tank on the chair), then over the hill (a bit busier), & back to Wgtn. Arrived home just on dark. To find out that the run had been cancelled.

billingtond
    Participant

looked like a great day thank you for sharing the experience

billingtond
    Participant

Anyone going over this weekend to hit the gravel

billingtond
    Participant

Hi anyone out there that wants to get out adventure riding I own a F800GS. moved up from South Island I think I have been spoilt out most weekend hitting the dirty. up for any thing I have been in Akas Forest a few time done pram track hydro road etc on the GS however on my owe a bit risk due to a few bike drops, however in and out no issues cheers

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Not this weekend sorry. Looks pretty crap out there this afternoon. Committed to spending some time with the family…

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Wellington ride out Sunday 21st Aug to Riversdale & Castlepoint. Meet Caltex Rimutakas 9.00am. Mainly seal & gravel. Suitable noobies.

Mario Gregor
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R2100GS 2006

@box.a.bits I’ll be there

bassman
    Participant
    • Bike: Triumph Tiger XCx

Bugger should have checked latest topics last night.Looks like a great day for a ride enjoy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.