Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

This topic contains 84 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  enduro0627 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Suzuki DR650 ADV

To get a notification every time someone posts in this thread press the subscribe button at the top of the first post on the page.

Mario Gregor
    Participant
    • Bike : BMW R2100GS 2006

@box.a.bits sorry I disappeared so abruptly, I was waiting for you in Tunui a while, then Paul came in and said that you are refueling so I decided to do a runner. Thanks for an amazing day riding. What a blast. Hope I will join you guys soon again.
    Some shots from today
    https://www.facebook.com/kusaj/posts/10157407265440374?pnref=story.unseen-section

(Edited by @eddieb to embed the Facebook gallery)

billingtond
    Participant

how was the ride out?

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike : BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

RIDE TO WHITE ROCK & TORA – Sunday 2nd Oct
    Just to make this official – Leaves Caltex Rimutaka at 9.30am. Park over by the fenceline – the service station gets pissed when we block the forecourt.

Coffee at Village Cafe at Martinborough at 10.00am, then on to White Rock & Tora.

Tight seal to Tuturumuri, then gravel. The White Rock Road traverses a few Stations – expect stock on the road.

Suitable for noobie riders & bikes on roadie tyres (no off road sections – seal & gravel only).

Bring your lunch (no shops out there).

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Just bringing this to to the top again. Weather forecast is flip flopping, but we are going anyway…

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

WHITE ROCK & TORA – 2nd Oct 16
    The weather forecasters had been flip flopping on this one. A bloody big front coming across from Australia, after causing havoc over there.

On Saturday I’d been in Motomart (to get fuel line for Gus) & toyed with the idea of getting new wet weather gear. In the end I flagged it. After all, we’re heading into summer aren’t we? Of course after a decision like that, it was sheeting rain 1st thing Sunday morning.

There’d been good interest in the ride – but I wasn’t certain how many would brave the conditions. As it happens, the ride contingent were Stuart Swan KTM990A, Chrome22 (Stu) KLX250, Jeff Sichoe (Thomas) Vstrom 1000, Oaters (Stephen) R1200GS, Ian Cook TDM850, & me on my R80 sidecar.

Once we cleared the Rimutakas, the day started to improve. By Martinborough the wets were starting to get too warm. No herb & cheese scones, so had to make do with a poppy seed & lemon muffin. And a Latte, albeit that my first was stolen. By the Hau Nui wind farm it seemed evident the day was going to stay nice.

I‘d foolishly told Stuart Swan that he’d never stay with me once we hit gravel, so of course he felt obligated to do so. And surprisingly dragged Chrome22 (Stu) & Ian with him.

Lunch at White Rock (anyone know what the white rock is?), then down to Ngapotiki Station gates, followed by a play in the little stream fords.

Ian Cook

Stu (Chrome22)

Jeff Sichoe (Thomas)

Stuart Swan

At the Tuturumuri intersection we waved off Chrome22 (Stu) & Jeff Sichoe (Thomas), then we beatled off to Tora.

Ian Cook

Lost Oaters there, while Ian, Stuart & I took in a quick tour down to Te Awaiti Station. Never been down that road. Very scenic.

Quick squirt back to Martinborough, then across the Rimutaka’s. Had a wee dice with a girl in a Corolla who was determined to unpass herself from the sidecar. Fortunately I had the better line. Was a crack up.

Home just after 5.00pm, feeling like I’ve done a few rounds with Joseph Parker.

I may have to do a realignment on the sidecar. I can see the top front mount has moved. I’ve been too strenuous on the tight right handers I guess.

bassman
    Participant
    • Bike : Triumph Tiger XCx

This would be the white rock of which you ask.Today was a good day not to be working

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Check out @harrywatson‘s new thread about Mangatarere Valley in Masterton. It looks like a fun explore for some lightweight bikes.

Someone take a GPS and a camera up there and go exploring.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Sundays WIMA Pink Ribbon Ride is fundraising for the NZ Breast Cancer Foundation “Pink Ribbon’ appeal.
    We’ve just put together the most awesome of pizes for “Best Dressed” Bike, Female, Male, Girl & Boy. Not forgetting the raffles and spot prizes.

Reminder:
    Please be at Wellington Motorcycles on Sun 16th Oct by 10:30am as we’re off on our bikes at 11am.
    Then we head to Boundary Tap & Kitchen on Ramauti Rd.

PINK UP YOUR BIKE or YOURSELF.
    Looking forward to seeing you.

rajanfernandez
    Participant

Anyone in the Wellington region up for some rides this summer?
    I’m keen to explore some of the GPS tracks from this site and also any other tracks in the region.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Hi Raj. Yes we are here. Just not riding as much over the Xmas season. Keep an eye on this thread & I’ll advertise a group ride sometime shortly.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

SATURDAY 31ST DEC:
    I’m thinking that I need to take advantage of the last free fine day of this year. Gus is up & running again. Not sure where I’m riding but would like it to have a little challenge. Open to suggestions (Sutherlands Hut is suddenly looking attractive, though it’ll be hot in there).

Meet at Caltex Rimutaka’s at 9.00am.

viferpilot
    Participant
    • Bike : 2014 BMW F800GS

What about the Rimutaka Hill Pylon Access Track? I’ve been riding past the entrance to this track for years. Perhaps it’s time to take advantage of a fine morning on the last day of the year, and take a gander.

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

OCEAN BEACH – SATURDAY 31ST DEC:
    Given this was the last fine day available this holiday period (& the last ride day of the year), I thought I’d advertise & see who wanted to get out & about. Given Gus has only recently been up & running, I was keen on a more challenging ride, but wasn’t too fussed one way or another. I had a backup plan if no one showed.

As it transpired, Viferpilot was keen, albeit his suggested ride possibly didn’t gel well with his TKC70 shod F800GS. So we did Ocean Beach instead. I hadn’t been there for while & Viferpilot had never done it, so wins all round. Also, this was a ‘time limited’ outing for him, so a short ride was better than my initial suggestion.

Fine day but the wind did get up later in the day.

The slip face has moved & the track has been recut along it.

The sandy section leading the gate may have caused an issue. It’s all a confidence trick anyway.

Viferpilot headed back home, while I was initially headed for Ngawi. But a bad attack of the can’t be bothered struck & it seemed a much better bet to try for mushrooms (fail) or coffee in Martinborough (win).

The Rimutaka’s were probably about as gusty as I feel comfortable with, not helped by a very slow Commodore V6 idling up the windiest section.

Discovered another coffee at a friends house at Whitby. Sat in the sun, & helped him avoid installing a new carport roof, & all was good in the world.

viferpilot
    Participant
    • Bike : 2014 BMW F800GS

Thank you for the illustrated write-up Steve. Definitely keen to do another jaunt sometime during Week 1 of 2017. On a less time limited occasion. I’ve been out to much of the Wairarapa/Hawkes Bay coastline, except to White Rock. Just haven’t gotten round tuit. Wondering if anyone else is interested in visiting that terrain when the weather clears.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.