Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

This topic contains 85 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 6 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • Author

billingtond
    Participant

Yes include me in White Rock is a good ride out albeit tame roads

viferpilot
    Participant
    • Bike: 2014 BMW F800GS

Time has arrived to get some bugs in my teeth for 2017. Friday 6th Jan works for me. Keen to knock-off White Rock from the to-do list, and perhaps some meandering on the way home e.g. Ruakokoputuna (Blue Rock Rd) etc

I’ll be at Caltex Rimutaka at 9AM to rendezvous with whoever is interested in joining the jaunt.

BTW
    Aerial imagery (and WAMS) indicates there’s a legal route around the coast to/fro Cape Palliser. Just ‘curious’ … the ride report by Box.a.Bits would indicate some practice is required in sandy stuff (!).

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Unfortunately I’m back at work. You’ll strike locked gates at Ngopotiki Station, so that’s an in & out ride unless you can negotiate access. Whilst there is a paper road thru there, a portion of it it has collapsed into the sea long ago, so you would have to traverse private land.

viferpilot
    Participant

Three adventurers turned out for the run to White Rock and other curious wanderings. Some photos with captions here (click on ea. photo for full view): https://goo.gl/photos/DiP8kTyxkTCDiqW98

billingtond
    Participant

Anyone up for a ride Thursday or Friday Wairarapa

viferpilot
    Participant

Of the two options, Friday might be a bit dryer (if Metservice 3-day rain forecast is to be believed). It’s my first week back at work so the idea of shortening it by a day is tantalising! Will ‘test the water’.

billingtond
    Participant

Friday good for me i have moved to Greytown so all the gravel on my door step adventure riding heaven. everyone welcome to stop in a my place either before, during or after the ride bring your toggs nice pool to cool off and wash the dust away

billingtond
    Participant

Anyone interested in a ride out this Saturday ? Wairarapa area cheers Dave

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

Usefully, my lovely wife has ‘organised’ my Saturday for me (again). So won’t be able to get out. ๐Ÿ™

Hans Claus
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R1150GS

Hi Everyone. I would like some feedback on a few tracks. I will be traveling this Friday from Martinborough to Napier. Can I use Honeycomb Rock track from Glendhu to Glenburn rd? Does Otahome rd from Whareama go all the way to Castlepoint? Some maps show not while another does.
    What are my options from Castlepoint to Owahanga/ Akitio?
    Is there a track from Akitio to Herbertville?
    Please give me some feedback or alternatives. Looks like the tides are in my favour so will go over a few beaches and try to hug the coast as much as possible. Thanks very much. Cheers Hans.

viferpilot
    Participant

Thank you Dave for the suggestion to snap-up that weather opportunity this Welly Anniversary Weekend. I reckon we and our machines did a great job of it. Thank you to everyone for great company. Really enjoyed this outing.
    Our story in pictures https://goo.gl/photos/sAfKoxGKFidNZwRa7

viferpilot
    Participant

Hans asked:

Does Otahome rd from Whareama go all the way to Castlepoint?

The legal road will get you out to Otahome per WAMS (it’s a scenic ride):
    http://tinyurl.com/zv6b3rn
    You’ll need permission to get from Otahome to Castlepoint through Castlepoint Station. My understanding is that Anders Crofoot owns it; National Vice President of Federated Farmers:
    http://tinyurl.com/hfcqwhw

Though you don’t mention anything north of Herbertville. In case it is of interest I had some fun in November running from Blackhead to Aramoana along the beach. It was only a couple of hours past high tide. A track at the northern segment enabled passage where the beach was too narrow or rocky.
    https://goo.gl/photos/uxKNAJocUcAgZtk96

From the map it looks like it might be possible to traverse further along the coast beyond Aramoana to Pourerere.
    http://tinyurl.com/zwu4qsd

billingtond
    Participant

A great day thank you for leading the trip and taking the time to photograph it. A true adventure ride and great company. Dave

Hans Claus
    Participant
    • Bike: BMW R1150GS

Hi Viferpilot. Thanks very much for your suggestions. North of Herbertville the plan is to go over Porangahau beach and then it all depends whether I can cross the Porangahau river. Last time I was there I wasn’t game. From Blackhead I will go along the beach to Pourerere. Have been there before so know it is a possibility.
    Will you please let me know about the purple lines on the WAMS map? Are the purple lines tracks you have ridden on a motorbike? In that way I can go from Mataikona over Pack Spur road to Tinui Valley road. From there to Tinui, Annedale road and Waitawhiti road to Tiraumea.
    Also is there another station between Tautane road and Ireland road from Herbertville?
    Sorry for all these questions but I love it getting all this information.
    Again thanks very much. Cheers Hans.

viferpilot
    Participant

Hello Hans

Are the purple lines tracks you have ridden on a motorbike?

Per the WAMS legend the purple line delineate the legal roads, both formed and unformed, throughout NZ i.e. routes that should enable unfettered right of passage (by any means … horse, motorbike, etc). Use the topographic base map to see if there is a formation. If the legal road isn’t formed then it is courteous to seek permission from the adjacent landowner. The Walking Access Commission’s website has guidance about this.

Mataikona over Pack Spur road to Tinui Valley road

Nice route. Involves a deviation onto private land (including airstrip) but I’ve never learned who the amicable landowner is.

Annedale road and Waitawhiti road to Tiraumea

Over a kilometer of this is private farm track (a deviation from the path of the unformed legal road). Courteous to call Allan Wellbrock 06 372 6635 to test situation re stock etc. It could be greasy if damp; clay surfaces in parts.

another station between Tautane road and Ireland road

I’m not familiar with the situation here/attitude of the landowners. You can see on WAMS that the legal roads are unformed and not contiguous. The topo map indicates there are gates at the ends of the formed roads. If you can get through it certainly looks like a great way to sneak up on Porangahau. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.