Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

Forums Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Wellington – Wairarapa Rides

This topic contains 84 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  enduro0627 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author

viferpilot
    Participant
    • Bike : 2014 BMW F800GS

I’ve dragged pics and videos into this album (comments on some of ’em) :
    https://goo.gl/photos/5MSYwk8qPe7kap79A

Wot an adventure! ( esp on TKC70’s [8K wear] )
    Great company and teamwork. Thank you everyone.

Richard

Box.a.Bits
    Participant
    • Bike : BMW Supertanker, R80 & Velorex Sidecar, Gilera Runner ST200

A wee write up over here

More photos are over here

mitchthamenace
    Participant
    • Bike : KLX250s

Hey guys

Would love to join in on the next ride – done a wee bit of trail riding etc. Would love to get the bike dirty

Any ideas on when the next trip is?

Thanks

Mitch

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Hi Mitch, subscribe to this thread (at the top of the page). You’ll get an email if anyone is posting.

More than likely we’ll be out next fine weekend (not this one then). If anyone has some suggestions as to where you’d like to go, we could look at that (remembering that’s mid winter & some places are weather dependent).

bassman
    Participant
    • Bike : Triumph Tiger XCx

Geez Mitch I dont know a KLX 250 might have to add 100kg of ballast lol.Welcome to the madhouse as box a bits said above

mitchthamenace
    Participant
    • Bike : KLX250s

Thanks team – have subscribed.

Yeah she’s a wee bike, good to get me back riding again only had it a few months. Need something to hold those tires down!

Mario Gregor
    Participant
    • Bike : BMW R2100GS 2006

as always, keen as 😉

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike : Suzuki DR650 ADV

Anyone doing a writeup for the Ocean Beach ride?

Box.a.Bits
    Participant

Ocean Beach – 1st Jul 17

Last minute ride decision to join a ride organised by Chris Adams via facebook. Met at Caltex Rimutukas at the gentlemanly hour of 10.00am. Ride participants were Chris (DR650), Steve (KLR650), Brent (KLR650), Neil (WR250R), & me, Box’a’bits (R100GS).

I’d been having carb flooding issues on the left carb, but thought I’d sorted it by dropping the float bowl & allowing things to flush through. But no, arrived at Rimutex, & immediately started dribbling. Although thinking about it, maybe Gus was just in lust with the Valkerie we parked next to.

Loads of Lions supporters leaving Wellington, some in Campervans, others sweating off the hangovers on cycles. Busy on the hill, but we managed to cut a path through. A little damp on the road, but no real issues

Coffee & a savory scone at Everest Cafe at Featherston. Nicer sitting outside.

The ride out to Ocean Beach was scenic with moody clouds sitting down over the hills, & no wind. Dropped tyre pressures just before the seal ran out. Joined there by Richard, on his Motard KTM.

The track at Ocean Beach was rougher than normal – they’ve obviously had some weather over there. Past the Doc Camp the puddles were much higher than normal – we just ploughed thru.

Unfortunately the ride ended before the scree slip – because of a new slip. We could perhaps have gotten thru’ that – but the consequences for getting it wrong were high. We could also have gone along the beach under the slip – but the tide was coming up.

Photo courtesy Steve Mahar

Chris put up his drone – here’s a link to the footage.

Posted by Chris Adam on Sunday, 2 July 2017

Raw Drone footage of the slip from Chris Adams

The float issue came back to bite me. Most of my tank of gas had disappeared. So while Steve, Chris & Neil decided to re route to the outlet of Lake Onoke, Brent & I decided to call it a day & shoot back to Featherston.

Hit reserve just coming down the first sealed hill after Ocean Beach, but made it back okay. Good job we didn’t get further along the track.

I understand Neil & Richard also did the Rimutaka Pylon track on the way back.

Back home, the outlaws had arrived, so that was a good excuse for some garage time. I pulled the left carb, & found a small piece of fuel line rubber (I’d just replaced the fuel lines) lodged above the float needle. So hopefully that issue is now resolved. I have no wish to become the latest BMW suicide bomber on the morning commute….

enduro0627
    Participant
    • Bike : 2014KLR650EE

Hi,
    I am wondering if you have seen the AdventureRidingNZ “Picture Project” for the September motorcycle show.
    Check out the details here:
    Picture project
    Andrew

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.