Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Reply To: Gravel Geezers Big Bike Ride 2015

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Gravel Geezers Big Bike Ride 2015 Reply To: Gravel Geezers Big Bike Ride 2015

Michael J Breen
Participant

I pulled in on the way along this road and shot some video as the team passed by as well as a few shots of some of the bikes on the road.

[caption id="attachment_10265" align="aligncenter" width="1600"]Rob on his Honda Africa Twin Rob on his Honda Africa Twin[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_10264" align="aligncenter" width="1600"]Russell on his KTM Adventure R Russell on his KTM Adventure R[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_10263" align="aligncenter" width="1600"]Camilla was riding well on the little Yamaha XT250 Camilla was riding well on the little Yamaha XT250[/caption]

We stopped to regroup at a Tee intersection and after a wee chat, Kel and Michael headed off down the hill toward the water to see what the road was like and whether it might be an interesting option. I hooked a left up a short rise to see what was there but it was only a small quarry so I rode around its base then headed off to see if I could catch Kel and Michael.

[caption id="attachment_10262" align="aligncenter" width="1600"]Michael and his brand new WR250R Michael and his brand new WR250R[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_10261" align="aligncenter" width="1600"]Kel, on his Africa Twin,  eyes up the totem Kel, on his Africa Twin, eyes up the totem[/caption]

This bit of road offered more traction and I was giving the Ducati the welly. It did spin up pretty easily but that just made things more exciting as the back stepped out and drifted a little around corners. My suspension was not quite dirt bike but with the long travel on the Hypermotard SP; it was pretty damn good. A wide grin fixed itself across my face and that was to stay for the rest of the day!

[caption id="attachment_10260" align="aligncenter" width="1600"]From the left: Ducati Hypermotard SP, Yamaha XT250, KTM 1190 Adv R,  Honda Africa Twin and in the background two more AFrica Twins! From the left: Ducati Hypermotard SP, Yamaha XT250, KTM 1190 Adv R,
Honda Africa Twin and in the background two more AFrica Twins!
[/caption]