No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride NEW ZEALAND T2B ROUTE (TOP 2 BOTTOM) Reply To: NEW ZEALAND T2B ROUTE (TOP 2 BOTTOM)

OldBeer
Participant
  • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S, CB500X

So this route through central Waikato went very well on the way down. I decided to leave on Thursday as weather looked to be packing up at the end of the trip and I didn’t want to miss out on any riding. I broke the trip in Tauranga, but as it turned out it would be easy to do this and still get to Whakatane in one day.

All of the back roads were interesting, scenic and a lot quieter than the main roads.

The route through the Hunuas made a nice change. I didnt do any side trips to the dams but I would have had plenty of time.

Some of the roads were quite narrow, there was the odd stretch of gravel, Matahuru Road was a highlight. I’ve go some video of that I will post when I have done some editing. Old Hill Road was another treat. On this one you can look down onto SH27 and see the trucks rumbling down the road.

Mangawara didn’t work as they were logging in there. Had it been a weekend and if the gate had not been closed…. The ride up to the closed section and back down again was a hoot anyway.

Everything got very adventurous once I got to Whakatane but that’s another story.