No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Leslie – Cecil Road Reply To: Leslie – Cecil Road

Eddieb
Keymaster
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I’ve just seen this update on Facebook from a local cycling club about Leslie and Cecil Roads. It seems the local forest owners and South Waikato District Council have illegally blocked the road to vehicle access at the Mamaku end.

Leslie Road / Cecil Road Access

https://www.facebook.com/groups/546359062233738/permalink/858041424398832/

Several weeks ago I posted an update on issues we GGG and other recreational groups have had keeping Leslie Rd / Cecil Rd open to public use.
I suggested our cycling community take the opportunity to ride this route in an attempt to “prove a need” for continuing access.

Unfortunately the week following our meeting with South Waikato District Council and Hancock Forests both organisations took the opportunity to blockade the Eastern end of Cecil Rd, as can be seen from the attached photos, they really don’t want public access to continue.

This action of blocking a public road is illegal, after further discussions with the South Waikato District Council, they have instructed Hancock Forestry to clear a trail to allow cycle / horse access.

This work is due to happen next week, so hopefully from the end of next week we will again be able to access Leslie Rd.
I will post when this work is complete so local Bay Of Plenty / Waikato riders can continue to raise the profile of the route.