- Town/City: Tauranga
- Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS
So I took the DR over Old Mountain Road last weekend and on the way the External Idle Mixture adjustment screw rattled out of the bottom of the FCR-39 and landed underneath the starter motor so the bike wouldn’t idle and was backfiring badly on deceleration.
I had some energy today so stripped a lot of the bike down to retrieve the lost mixture screw. The starter motor had started to squeal as DR starters tend to do so the exhaust was removed to get the starter out which then got opened up and cleaned out and regreased, while the mixture screw was retrieved along with a pile of small stones.
The mixture screw spring had disappeared so it’s lucky I ordered a new one a few days ago.
Next up was a carb rejet as the last change I made was as step backwards so the main jet went back to a 150. I also pulled and blew out the idle jet.
@michael-eastwood rode my DR a few weeks back and thought the steering was heavy and that possibly the top steering stem nut was a bit tight. Removing the handle bars to get to it and testing with a torque wrench showed it was set to 60NM, which is what the book says. I undid the nut and retightened it to 40NM anyway to see what it feels like.