Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Reply To: Invisibility Training for Motorcyclists

Home Forums Riding Riding Skills & Safety Invisibility Training for Motorcyclists Reply To: Invisibility Training for Motorcyclists

OldBeer
Participant
  • Bike: R1200GS, DL650, DRZ250, DRZ400S,

There’s lots of discussion on this topic on the Aussie Netrider forum (and no doubt elsewhere) with one of the regular contributors something to do with one of the Aus road safety panels, so considers himself an authority. He doesnt think fluoro clothing makes enough difference as you cant see it at distance and that you cannot rely on it, which is fair enough. Debate gets quite heated at times!!!The seeing at distance thing has always seemed a bit irrelevant cos you’re not going to have a smidsy 426 feet away from the intersection. If there is some objective data somewhere on what colour is most often picked up at 4 feet away that would be a lot more useful wouldn’t it?

Seems to be one of those things that everyone has a different view of. There’s an argument that if they don’t see you then it doesn’t matter what you’re wearing.
Personally I don’t usually wear a black riding jacket and my raincoat has fluoro yellow arms for the reasons Ryan noted in his video. But I know plenty of riders that wont be seen in anything but black. At the end of the day its a personal choice and for me defensive riding will make a lot more difference than wearing different clothing.

Here’s hoping you have safe riding over the break peoples!!