Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Reply To: Gravel / Off Road riding skills videos.

Home Forums Riding Riding Skills & Safety Gravel / Off Road riding skills videos. Reply To: Gravel / Off Road riding skills videos.

Eddieb
Keymaster
  • Town/City: Tauranga
  • Bike: BMW R100GS, Ducati Mark 3 250 narrow case

@harrywatson said:
I abandoned a ride because the gravel was too deep. I didn’t have a good gravel confidence at that time. That was to Otahome Beach in Wairarapa. It was steep ‘gravely’ and it was a narrow road. There was a sheer drop to my left with very few ‘pull-offs’. To be honest I was scared and turned back. I’d been climbing a hill and found a way back down. An SUV came past me and I thought that if it had been in front of me I would have lost my bike or my health. If you ‘bail’ or ‘opt out’ it’s not always a bad thing. That feeling of ‘discomfort’ should be recognised and not put down to bad riders or fearful riders. The SUV took the whole road and put me in a drain. If I’d been going up, Myself and my bike would have been tumbling down a 75 degree rock face.
Well then ‘Happy Day’

Sorry Harry, only just saw this.

Being aware of your skills and experience in the conditions is a good skill to have. I’ve turned around more than once while out exploring on my own.
There’s no shame in it and you live to ride another day.