Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Reply To: Raglan Adventure Ride February 29th 2020

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Raglan Adventure Ride February 29th 2020 Reply To: Raglan Adventure Ride February 29th 2020

James C
Participant
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XR

What an epic event. 260km over Gravel, Trail, Grass and adventure. Absolutely recommend this event. Really well organised. I arrived at the camp site on Friday late afternoon. It was essentially part of a farm. Area had been cleared of cattle and prepped for the riders. Porta Toilets and Showers with hot water where provided which was fantastic. It was a seriously early start on Saturday 5 am even though we only had to be at the club house at 07.45. (Riders where obviously excited and couldnt sleep).

Quick cup of coffee and a bacon sandwich and into our briefing. For the first time we had a glimpse of the track and knew it was going to be brilliant. 2 Parts with Part 1 comprising 93km loop and starting with the easier northern tracks with several breakouts for the more advanced riders and meeting back at the club house at 12h30 sharp. We had an opportunity to ride through the Meridian Energy Wind Farm! (Speed limit of 40km was imposed for this section). Then we rode the WRC circuit. My nervous nerves. Thick loose stone what seemed to just go on and on. But in fact it was only 3-4km of it. After lunch – Part 2 was far more challenging covering a distance of 171km. Riders had to move quickly and the terrain was far more technical. (Brief bit of rain but with enough to slick up ground).

Cut off was 6pm. The last riders arrived back at the club house around 19h30 with support crews! What a day!

Of course we all had a good feed and few beers and shared our personal perspectives on our individual experiences.

A quick price giving and I said my goodbyes – shattered from the day out riding. Tonight I was going to sleep well.