Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Reply To: Eddie’s adventures and DR650 build thread

Home Forums Bikes Suzuki Eddie’s adventures and DR650 build thread Reply To: Eddie’s adventures and DR650 build thread

Eddieb
Keymaster
  • Town/City: Tauranga
  • Bike: BMW R100GS, Ducati Mark 3 250 narrow case

The bike is back together and I’m now trying to set the rear shock sag.

To start you need to know the amount of wheel travel your shock allows as recommended rider sag is measured as percentage of your total available wheel travel.

Suzuki quote the DR650 as having 10.2 inches of wheel travel, however Procycle.us did some actual measurements and recorded it at 9 inches.
In metric that’s a quoted 259mm but a real 228mm, so like a lot of things in life it’s not as long as you think it is.

I am running my shock in the DR650 factory lowered setting due to the massively tall seat I have and Procycle estimate that in that configuration the shock would have about 8″/203mm of rear wheel travel.

Following the process in this article we linked to ages ago we need to know 3 measurements, the distance between the same 2 chosen points on the bike when the rear suspension is unweighted, static, and with the rider on board.

Unweighted is with the bike on a lift with the rear wheel off the ground
Static sag is the bike standing upright on it’s wheels but with no other weight on it
Rider sag is with the the rider sitting and/or standing on the bike in normal riding gear and with whatever other weight you would normally have on the bike, e.g. luggage, pillion etc.

For my measurements I chose from the top of the rear axle to a mark on my side panel directly above the rear axle and I got:

Unweighted 531mm
Static sag 501mm
Rider Sag 445mm