Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Reply To: Acheron Road / Molesworth Station

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Acheron Road / Molesworth Station Reply To: Acheron Road / Molesworth Station

Eddieb
Keymaster
  • Town/City: Tauranga
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

Public Access New Zealand (PANZ) is challenging the annual April to October closure of the Molesworth Road in New Zealands High Court, claiming it is illegal to close a public road except in limited circumstances such as extreme weather events.

PANZ said this week it had filed legal proceedings with the High Court in Wellington against Land Information New Zealand (LINZ), the Government department that manages official records of public roads.
The charitable trust wanted a declaration from LINZ confirming that roads in the Molesworth Recreation Reserve including Acheron Rd were public roads, with the intention of guaranteeing public access.

There’s a picture of an Africa Twin rider pausing to take in the view in the article.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/124969323/seasonal-closure-of-huge-back-country-reserve-molesworth-to-be-challenged-in-high-court

I’m in 2 minds about this personally, I’d love for access to be year round but I wonder how many accidents there might be by people underestimating winter driving conditions or their driving ability, or just be not being prepared.