fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Eddie’s post Christmas 2014 2 day ride Reply To: Eddie’s post Christmas 2014 2 day ride

Eddieb
Keymaster

After gassing up me and the bike in Taumaranui there was one last stop on my plan. PiroPiro Flats lies near Waimiha between SH30 and SH4 on the West side of the Pureora Forest. The 18km ride gravel in leads to a a large DOC campsite popular with mountain bikers as there are a lots of mountain bike tracks here. There are also quiet a few unmaintained roads to explore and a bit of a challenge loop, plus some roads that have completely grown over and may or may not be passable on 2 wheels.

I didn’t get any pictures of the doc site but it could be a good site for a overnight camping adventure rally.

The start of the challenge loop

This looks nowhere near as steep as it was and the large humps in it don’t show up. I turned around just after this due to having full luggage on and the track getting quite rutted. Apparently it took 45 minutes for a young fella on a 2014 CRF250 to do the full loop.