No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Where to ride Riding Overseas 2017 the Americas Ride (Canada to Argentina's Ushuaia)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  octopusenvy 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

It’s a big 4month ride, so I’m planning early. It’s also a big ask from my wife to be away for so long (No, she’s not asking, I am). So this is all subject to change. I’ve read several RR on the trips, and am still deciding if I will ride the entire length in one trip or not. This year I plan to ride from Canada to Baja, so I can figure if it’s worth attaching again or not. If not, then my trip will be Los Angeles to Ushuaia (roughly 17000miles/28000kms).

Two main options are to ride through Central America OR ship the bike to Columbia. Shipping to Columbia has some distinct advantages to shorten the time, the cost, and the hassle, but it also shortens the adventure. Lots of complications with border crossings in Central America, and the big expense is Panama to Columbia. Many people take the Stahlrasse for 1000USD and make a few days holiday out of the sailing. I’d probably look for the most cost effective way to cross if I rode Central America.

It’s a once in a lifetime trip for me, so it’s hard to cancel out all of Central America, even tho I’ve been to Mexico/Belize/Guatemala before. I’d love to visit Costa Rica and Honduras, but costs and time will determine. It may end up a shortened ride through Central America of about 1 month max with more limited stops? I’m still open to ideas at this stage.

My plan is to buy a 2013/4 Husqvarna TR650 Terra this year and ride in the states/Canada/Baja. I will leave the bike either in Cabo Pulmo with a friend or back in Los Angeles. I decided on the bike because parts are somewhat available, the engine is a rock-solid rotax I’ve ridden before, and it has the right combo of comfort and fuel capacity. It can ride rough off-road well enough and is light but not too light for high-winds etc. I also happen to like them over a DR650, KLR, or jap bike. Anyhow, they’ve been proven on this trip as well http://www.southwithhuskies.com as an example.

So if anyone was seriously thinking about this type of trip next year, please get in touch. It’s always easier to plan with someone else. I’m a young 40yr old and I can speak quite basic spanish, but I’m going to be doing more study over the year.

Gracias a todos y digame!

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

quiet in here…just an update:

i had a very successful ride for the canada/usa part of this tour and decided to pause there due to weather for the 2nd part. I ended up on a very good and reliable bmw g650x, which is the same rotax motor as the Husqvarna TR650 Terra, but much more affordable (plus I’ve owned one before). The bike is great for this kind of tour and now waiting for my return which will be in early Feb 2017 to carry on south! Check out the new post on that part, as I’m up for a riding buddy or two!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.