No products in the cart.

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports A whale does the 4 Points

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gremlin 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Andrew Thomson
    Participant
    • Bike: Super Tenere, Concours 14

Thought I’d post a link to my write-up of my Manawatu Ulysses Four Points run. I decided to take the Tenere and racked up nearly 4,400km in 8 days. No issues other than a puncture which did alter my planned route a little. Picked off some new to me gravel on the way around the North Island. Great fun had by me!

Attachments:

Andrew Thomson
    Participant

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Nice read, seems like you had fun plus some arguments with the GPS (always a mixed bag as to who wins…).

Do you use the open source maps? Things like Boddie Rd do go all the way through, maps show it too, so wondering if its the maps you’re using or routing priority. Seemed like a few no exit roads etc. Whatipu is definitely a dead end, again maps show that.

Andrew Thomson
    Participant

Thanks!

Use Garmin maps ‘cos I got lifetime ones years ago. Boddie Road definitely showed ok in Mapsource (same maps) but something weird happened once on GPS. Routing priority might be a possible – maybe I’ll play with some settings and recalculate the routes and see what happens. I also wondered if some of my routes had too many waypoints and maybe I would have been better to split them up a bit?

GPS did do some weird things including shutting completely off at one stage. And now those funny red lines on the screen…

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

The 550 is more limited in processing more complex routes, it’s a few years old now… the 660 didn’t like a route over 24hrs at one point, and crashed several times and became more settled as the hours dropped below 24. I haven’t tested the 590 for complex routes yet, as it won’t use Mapsource which kinda pisses me off, and I don’t like Basecamp.

I’m dual GPS’ing at the moment because my mobile also doesn’t like the 590. 590 handles music and basic navigation, 660 is all the note taking for map correction.

In terms of waypoints, a, GPS limits, b, don’t put in more than necessary. 1 point in the middle of a minor road should force the GPS to use that road, rather than putting 1 at the start and another at the finish.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.