No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion News ACC – Understanding Motorcycle Levies

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  David Hunter 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

ACC have released 2 documents explaining why the ACC Motorcycle Levies are as high as they are.

Aaron Mcewan
    Participant
    • Bike: ktm530

would you mind requesting the data that is based on for us as-well so we don’t all need to bother them?
    ( last line on page 2 )

Stefan Innocente
    Participant

It would be nice if the robbing bastards would try to explain why it costs more for a DR650 than a GSXR600…

Michael J Breen
    Participant

I can’t read it on my phone but does it mention that motorbike accidents include unregistered bikes and quads: farmers, motocross, racing and recreational users?

Stefan Innocente
    Participant

It most certainly does NOT !!!

Dean Saunders
    Participant

Just more half truth propaganda to woo the public – out of all those statistics who was injured riding two bikes at once- I’d rather get my own accident insurance and FUCK ACC

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Facebook – chainsawbike said:
    would you mind requesting the data that is based on for us as-well so we don’t all need to bother them?
    ( last line on page 2 )

Requested. I’ll post it up if and when it arrives.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Attached is the statistics ACC used to come up with the levies.

Thanks for your email.

Attached you’ll find a spreadsheet with the actuarial information that was used to calculate the 2015/16 motorcycles levies.

Just some key things to note when reviewing this data:

· The attached data shows that there are more >600cc motorcycles registered than other types. Although the claim rate per motorcycle is lower than for the under 600cc motorcycles, the average cost per claim is much higher. Overall, this means that the cost per motorcycle is much higher for the >600cc group which is reflective in the levies charged.
    · The claim numbers and costs are based on claims reported to the end of 2012. These costs are estimated lifetime costs – that is, the amount ACC needs to invest now so that, together with interest earned, all future costs of the claims are met. To estimate the number and cost of claims in 2015/16 for setting levies, we also allow for inflation, reductions in interest rates and other changes in the economy.

Hopefully this meets your needs. But if you were after some specific information, just let me know and I can ask our Actuarial Team to put together some information for you.

Aaron Mcewan
    Participant
    • Bike: ktm530

<cite>@Stefan Innocente said:</cite>
    It would be nice if the robbing bastards would try to explain why it costs more for a DR650 than a GSXR600…

lets ask them for the data…

what I think would be best to work that out:

motorcycle make, model,year and cost of claim

unfortunately that information may be too close to “personally identifiable information” so i doubt we will get it ( no harm in asking though )

so what could we ask for to substitute?

or maybe we provide them with a list of motorcycles and their power/weight ratios so they can more easily process the data into what we want?

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

What about the number of registered bikes versus unregistered bikes? It would be interesting to see the split there.

David Hunter
    Participant

Its very simple, when you are involved in a single vehicle accident, your are not if you get my drift, you were run off the road by a mad tourist in a camper van on the wrong side of the road or such like, then all bike crashes are listed under multiple vehicle accident, and their bean counting figures are all screwed up.

There should be some discount for those who have had some form of advanced training, for one, have done the Star rider “Gold course in the UK. Equiv to AIM police class 1. Try explaining to Police officers here that it is safer to use both sides of the road on a motorcycle, they don’t really get it.

Basically on a bike, everyone is out to kill you, and sometimes our own worst enemies our ourselves or the people we choose to ride with.

If you want to ride fast, get on the track, you can do it relatively cheaply, and everyone should be going in the same direction, you notice I said “Should.”

Current bikes, kawasaki zx636c6h($100 extra for 36cc), suzuki gsxr400, thumpstar ts125x, yamaha 400 big bear quad.
    Previous experience, learned to ride at 8, come from a road racing family, Star rider Gold standard, raced in NZ at Clubman level, still upright after two bad road crashes, both could have taken my life and the life of my passenger at the time, one major t-bone of a car at an intersection(drunk driver), one major t-bone of a bus (idiot behind the wheel).

Generally the standard of roadside furniture in NZ is pretty disgusting, and is not very bike or vehicle friendly if you stray off the black stuff. Is that the fault of the riders, or the authorities?

One last statement for bikers, “Your cross-views will keep you alive, develop a 360 deg vision, and ride down the middle of the road when there is no traffic, adjust your position accordingly when traffic is coming the other way, your ability to go fast, must be less than your ability to stop safely.” Ie: work on braking techniques and counter steering first before twisting the wrist. There is often a gap you can get through, or if you stick the bike in deeper into the turn, you may make it round the bend.

Dave.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.