fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Adventure helmets

Home Forums General Discussion Gear Adventure helmets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stephan Sloane
    Participant

Hey guys, I am in the market for a new adventure helmet to replace the old HJC CL-SX. Has anybody got any recommendations or bad experiences with helmets-preferring not to spend crazy money just want cheaper quality if it exists.

Russell John Bowden
    Participant

I bought an Acerbis Adventure, it’s got a cool polarised flip-down tinted sun visor, it’s pretty comfortable and light, I think it cost me about $280.
    It’s kind of noisy, but I think that’s due to the actual style, & inherent with adventure helemts in general due to the fairly open design, and peak.

If something happened to mine I’d probably try one or two others for noise, then get the same again if there aren’t any that were noticeably quieter.

This is the one i have:
    http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1807-acerbis_adventure_helmets/10404-acerbis_active_adventure_helme.aspx

hope this helps.

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

I have the Zues 2100B, and am on my 2nd one cause I liked the first one.

For my head they seem to be the best fit in that lower price bracket.

Cycletreads have them at $149, I assume your local dealer should be able to get them at the same price.

http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/products/1411-zeus_adventure_helmets/8912-zeus_2100b_adventure_helmet.aspx

petez1
    Participant

I brought the FFM MX630SM. seems OK? Cost about $200 so don’t expect top of the line. Fits well and is reasonably quiet but the shaped visor is Very distorted. I wear glasses so I have enough problems with clear vision, and I have preferred flip top helments in the past, just for the ease of getting helmet on without destroying my glasses
    Comfortable to wear. Quietish….Large face opening so good for fresh air when riding but the visor issue is noticable for me, but that may just be specific to my problems. and I think the lining can come out for cleaning?

Have to admit I also brought a Carberg Konda for commuting. Only because of the visor issue. Distorted vision is NOT an option when commuting in Auckland. But is a more standard full face design so more restricted face area = not as free to breath in / more enclosed. Was a clearance special so cheap and a flip-top so easier for glasses. Not a quiet helmet but for $270 it is acceptable

zaTTaz
    Participant
    • Bike: CBR250RR, DR350, WR450

An ‘adventure’ helmet is just a marketing spin. Get whatever fits you best. I’ve been looking at flip-tops to have a bit more airflow at low speed but think I will pull the trigger on an IS-17 as I enjoy having my jaw intact. I use a Shark at the moment which apart from wind noise is farking awesome, but it took a spill onto a rock last weekend and something with an internal visor is the direction I want to head this round.

There is a lot of shit out there that looks good….but that’s about all it does =S so take your time. It’s frustrating you cannot try on the bike before you buy with helmets.

Also, don’t knock secondhand for a decent one at the same price you’d buy a new shitter. Sometimes people go out and buy all the best gear then never use it and flick it off for cheap on tardme.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Shark have released a new adventure helmet overseas with a visor and goggles compatible, it looks pretty good and is going for about $499 Australian.

From the sharkhelmets.com website:

SHARK Discovery Division – Explore-R

A fullface helmet? An offroad helmet? The Explore-R is both at once. A helmet able to face all terrains. It offers the same panoramic vision field as the Vision-R in full face configuration, a very light weight and a well-designed ventilation system for extreme conditions.
    A helmet with full screen panoramic vision that can become a trail helmet: visor+ goggles
    Autoseal System: making the visor adhering to the helmet gasket providing a much better insulation
    Rapid Antifog System:opening and looking the visor on an anti-mist position
    Integrated retractable wind shield within the chin cover

Characteristics
    Constructed from carbon aramid fibre and multiaxial glass fibre
    Outside anti-scratch & inside anti-fog visor treatment
    Integrated UV380 label & anti-scratch sun visor
    Quick release visor system
    Optimal comfort for the persons wearing glasses
    2 shell sizes: optimal morphological adjustment
    Micro lock buckle system
    Use the delicates or cold cycle and place inside a washing net
    Planned location for SHARKTOOTH®

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I see Torpedo7.co.nz are doing the MSR Xpedition helmet at 40% off at the moment

http://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/UMHLFN3XD/title/msr-xpedition-dual-sport-helmet—2013

$149

Peter Wessels
    Participant

I bought a Arai XD4, a very nice helmet but definitely not worth the $999 price tag. In hindsight, I could have gone for something half the price which is just as nice doing the same thing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.