fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

anyone keen on a weekend rally

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat anyone keen on a weekend rally

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    David Bisschops
    Participant
    • Bike: bmw 2005 f650gs Dakar

as in the title is anyone keen for a rally. I am working on organizing one in the north island probably in the Waikato or bay of plenty. I am just trying to secure a large private farm that has tracks all over it good camping sites and terrain suitable for all levels of rider and bike. This can be ridden on adventure bikes and non road legal dirt bikes. This site is not far from a major town so fuel parts and other supplies are able to be gathered within 10 min ride. The site can be secured so no unwanted people may turn up and the campsite can be locked down etc. I was thinking about a fri sat sun event with fri being arrivals registration set up of camp etc say open from lunch. Sat being safety briefing and off ridding in groups each with a different skill level etc. sat night a ride or two in the dark for those who want something a bit different. sunday some more ridding with people able to leave as they require to travel home and anyone who wants to stay over sunday may do so.The site I am hopping to get access to will have parking for cagers if people bring dirt bikes etc this also may be the camp site if its in winter as the tracks to the main campsite get a bit hard to reach in a car if it rains.If this sounds good let me know with any ideas anyone may have. I was thinking around queens birthday next year for the big event as lots more planning is needed but in between now and then a few day and overnight rides to sort tracks out on gps etc and anyone who might be keen to help would be great.

I also think if numbers are good i can organize a cooking facility and at a cost if we have enough interest cooked meals supplied for all who attend .

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

Sounds good, I would be keen.

Nigel Gibb
    Participant
    • Bike: Yamaha XT600E

Yip KEEN AS

David Bisschops
    Participant

i may need some help so if anyone is able to help let me know and once i have the site organized we can meet up for a few beers and sort some stuff out

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

Good idea, just consider the Health and Safety side of it as i know there are farmers who are reluctant to let people ride on their land as they are still responsible for any mishaps. The other thing is if there is alcohol, you will need liquor license (if you planing on selling it there). Not trying to be a party pooper, just thinking of the silly beaurocratic and red tape stuff. otherwise i am keen as 🙂

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Town/City: Tauranga
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV, BMW R100GS

As discussed Yes definately. I’ve had in mind for a while a yearly Adventure Riding rally in the North Island.

@jake-maryniak
    etc, for access to private land direct farmers to this: https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/gps-tracks-rides/getting-access-to-private-farmland/ or print out the brochure and give it to the farmer.

One thing to consider about doing it over a public holiday weekend is what other events are on at the same time that may restrict people from attending due to other commitments, as many events opt for the long weekends.

David Bisschops
    Participant

yes I hope to do this every year too but maybe have two or three venues and move it around so it’s always a new adventure and new tracks to explore

David Bisschops
    Participant

<cite>@Facebook – jake.maryniak said:</cite>
    Good idea, just consider the Health and Safety side of it as i know there are farmers who are reluctant to let people ride on their land as they are still responsible for any mishaps. The other thing is if there is alcohol, you will need liquor license (if you planing on selling it there). Not trying to be a party pooper, just thinking of the silly beaurocratic and red tape stuff. otherwise i am keen as 🙂

haha not a problem i already have looked at this all we need is to write a form saying we will not hold the land owner liable for any personal damage or injuries etc

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Hi @david-bisschops

Any further developments on this?

Keen to help if you need it.

David Bisschops
    Participant

Hi Brodie I’m just having trouble getting ahold of the new land owners of the site I have in mind in rotarua do you know any way I can find who and how to contact them before I have to go to them

Eddieb
    Keymaster

PM me what info you’ve got and I can do some searching.

Jake Maryniak
    Participant

Stoney Bay up in Coro could be one of them. Lots of gravel roads to travel to get there. And it is DOC land. Cool camping with permission for bonfire.

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

Along the same lines, what about Whirinaki DOC camp? 30 beds in 3 cabins, $30 per cabin per night. Hot showers and room for tents.Covered cooking area.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@Brainflex said:
    Along the same lines, what about Whirinaki DOC camp? 30 beds in 3 cabins, $30 per cabin per night. Hot showers and room for tents.Covered cooking area.

Not a bad spot, @david-bisschops had a specific venue with some great options in mind.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@David Bisschops said:
    Hi Brodie I’m just having trouble getting ahold of the new land owners of the site I have in mind in rotarua do you know any way I can find who and how to contact them before I have to go to them

Would something like this help find them?

http://www.farmlocationmaps.co.nz/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.