Bannockburn Bike week 2017

Forums Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Bannockburn Bike week 2017

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ChrisCole 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

ChrisCole
    Participant

I am planning to head down to Bannockburn from Auckland, is anybody else going?

Chris

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

I wish I was

Grumpy Smurf
    Participant
    • Bike: F800gs

I am planning to go. will make it a 3 day trip (or so) to get there, looking for a riding buddy,,,,

ChrisCole
    Participant

Not sure yet of route down to Bannockburn, it maybe that Jacki my wife flies down to Christchurch and I pick her up from there if this is the case I plan to take in Rainbow road and any other interesting routes that time allows.

Budvar
    Participant
    • Bike: KLR650

I am probably going – i thought about to be on the 28th there

Just depends on work and weather – maybe i even go in between more south on a little tour and come back and then home.

When you guys coming through?

Grumpy Smurf
    Participant

I was thinking of leaving home (wellington) on the early ferry on either the 24th or 25th.
    I have done nothing of the Sth Island so everything will be new for me.
    That is as far as my plan goes – open to suggestions.
    You are welcome to overnight at my place and get the morning ferry together (and up to 3 more that read this).
    I have about 1500Km left in my rubber, so will need to factor in a stop for new tyres somewhere, other than that,,,,,,,.
    Will be on a budget so no 5 star hotels (sadly).

I am keen on just about anything as it is all new for me.
    Thanks

Gremlin
    Participant
    • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure

I’d suggest tyres before South Island. The roads down there eat tyres and tyres themselves aren’t cheap and widely available. Peace of mind starting on fresh rubber.

Grumpy Smurf
    Participant

Good idea, and easy enough to do in Wgtn (going to put a K60 on back and TKC80 on the front).

ChrisCole
    Participant

I am hoping to get the Inter islander on the 26th and then stop overnight in or around St Arnaud, ride Rainbow Road on the 27th overnight in Christchurch then head down to Bannockburn on the 28th, would that work for you Duncan? We could maybe hook up with Budvar in Christchurch

Grumpy Smurf
    Participant

That could work. I have 2 week pass from the wife (cost me a new car) so I can be pretty flexible. I will just leave a day or two later and come back a day (or so) later.

Budvar
    Participant

Sounds good for me too

If u guys want u can stay overnight at my place, garage, tools, pool blah blah just give me a private message than we can have a chat about that

@duncan – in case that u can come to CHCH with your tyres here is a quite cheap please for it (depends what u pay in wellington)

Grumpy Smurf
    Participant

Looks like there is a risk of a plan forming,,,,

Chris, do you want to stay @ my place and get the early ferry, then ride Rainbow (as per your plan) on the way to Budvar, Overnight in Chch and all go to the rally together?
    I’m keen, and don’t want to go off the beaten track unless there are at least two bikes (just in case).
    @budvar I have arranged to get new rubber put on next week, so will be all set before I leave (assuming my pannier racks arrive from Canada in time !!).

Budvar
    Participant

good luck with the pannier racks! I’m waiting for my speedo reciever from japan – but in worst case rpm will do it

Grumpy Smurf
    Participant

Thanks, I’m keen to take you up on the accommodation offer on the 27th.
    I am just sorting out how to meet Chris so that we can ride the Rainbow on the way down.
    I assume that getting to the Rally from Chch is simple enough, I am going to camp at the rally and don’t really have too much of a plan so was hoping to ride via Tekapo / Twizel.
    I have so many place that I want to go on this trip, but can’t possibly fit them all in, so need to accept that some places will have to miss out,,,,,,

Budvar
    Participant

just 1 thing for the rainbow and the way down the chch

from hanmer springs down the pass is all 80kmh now and hell of a lot at police on the road, not that I’m speeding all the time but now it takes really time to come back to chch, especially with all the trucks and the extra traffic from blenheim / picton

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.