No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Chit Chat Beginner

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Garry Ferdy 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Pat Deavoll
    Participant

I’m a beginner of three months riding and am off on my first solo expedition.
    Chch, Fairlie, McKenzie Pass, Hakataramea Pass, Dansies Pass, Omarama Saddle and home.
    I have two bikes; a Suzuki DR650 slowly and carefully.a yamaha WR250R. I’m taking the WR because I don’t have a shit-show of picking up the DR by myself.
    I’m doing this trip because my riding buddies are all very experienced and tend to leave me miles behind. I can now travel at the speed I want which will be slowly and carefully.
    Any tips and advice gratefully accepted.

Garry Ferdy
    Participant

Great ride, Had a couple of times with rain where the Omarama Saddle has been serious, I would want to have a partner for that bit.
    Thompson Gorge road from Omakau to Tarras is an alternative, a few gates but a good ride.
    Like your choice of taking the WR, Hope you have a big tank or extra fuel, couple of long runs without gas stations.
    Have a great time and let us know how it goes.
    Garry

PatDeavoll
    Participant

Garry thanks for posting regarding my query.
    I had a great time on the trip, and as you suggested, came over Thompson Gorge Rd rather than Omarama Saddle. I arrived at St Bathans at 6pm and didnt have the nerve to tackle Omarama at that time of the evening, when there may not have been many others on the track to pick up the pieces.
    I have since ridden the Rainbow Rd through to St Arnaud and back which was great.
    My plan now is to ride the Nevis and Mavora Lakes roads at Waitangi weekend.
    Im definitely finding the WR easier to manage than the DR in my novice state.
    Thanks again for posting
    Pat

Pat Deavoll
    Participant

I have recently bought a WR250R. I carry fuel with me but would like to know people’s experience with how far a standard tank will stretch in kilometres?

Pat Deavoll
    Participant

I am also wanting to ride the Nevis and mavora lakes trip at Waitangi Weekend.
    How many river crossings and would a beginner cope with these?

Garry Ferdy
    Participant

Glad to hear you had a good ride, sounds like fun.
    Mileage wise, I start getting nervous at 160K, but have nursed it to 180, it took 6.7ltr to fill it back up.
    Have just fitted a IMS 12ltr tank, still waiting to see when the light comes on.
    I also have a carrier for an extra 4ltrs

Should get me into the mid/high 300k range.
    Mavora road is cool, Nevis can alter with conditions, lots of water crossings.
    Garry

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.