No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Gear Bike touring tent

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  OldBeer 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Zongie
    Participant
    • Bike: 2015 Zongshen RX3

While grazing through the internet you may have come across the really great bike tents, the ones which allow you standing room, space for gear and somewhere for the bike. Like me you were in acquisition mode until the price was converted into NZ$.
    I have an alternative. The Tologa tent sold by the noble red shed is almost identical at less than half the price.

Packed up it sits comfortably on the passenger seat and is narrower than my panniers although it would need to be removed if you want access to them. It’s easy to put up by one person and has over six feet of headroom. It probably wouldn’t do in the arctic or during a hurricane, but lets be honest I wouldn’t be travelling on a motor bike then.
    After a miserable night in a bivvy tent at the Cold Kiwi I’ve decided the extra size, space and weather protection is worth the hassle of transporting it on the seat.

OldBeer
    Participant
    • Bike: DL650, DRZ250, CB500X

How’s the Zongshen going?

I have been thinking about getting some camping gear for biking trips.
    Here’s my list, what have I forgotten?

Tent
    Sleeping bag
    Air bed and pump (I’m old)
    Tiny Gas burner
    Chair
    Some pots and pans
    30l roll bag to shove it all in

Thoughts? Bear in mind I’m a newbie not a hardcore adventurer.

Brainflex
    Participant
    • Bike: CT110, Husky TE 250, DRZ250, CB500X

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7RF2N8FA/title/torpedo7-featherlite-adventure-chair

Can recommend this chair, buy one get one free at the the moment.About the size of a skinny 1’5lt bottle when collapsed

Muzz67
    Participant

Highly recommend the coleman airbed. Rolls up small, has built in inflation, about 65mm high, and cheap, repeat, cheap…
    https://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/coleman-sleeplite-camp-pad.html

OldBeer
    Participant

<cite>@brainflex said:</cite>
    https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7RF2N8FA/title/torpedo7-featherlite-adventure-chair

Can recommend this chair, buy one get one free at the the moment.About the size of a skinny 1’5lt bottle when collapsed

Thanks David – I was looking at this one…
    https://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/navigator-south-folding-camping-chair-blue/R2220552.html#prefn1=subclassCode&prefv1=Camping+Chairs&start=1

No doubt lesser quality!

Airbed looks good though, thanks @muzz67

citroenjunkie
    Participant

Hi there

Zongie is going really well, I’ve done nearly 5000k’s since March and apart from a new battery shortly after I bought it it has been perfect.
    Two weekends ago I completed the Gold Ride Forever course in Palmerston North with riders on a range of much bigger bikes without any problems. There were one or two raised eyebrows, and apart from the rude sod who wanted to know why I didn’t buy a “proper bike” We all had a great day.

Every time I go camping I find something else I can change or improve. The important bit I think is to get out there and do it, especially when the weather is so amazing!

ElleOn2Wheels
    Participant

If you plan on camping a lot or in cold conditions, I’d highly recommend a down-filled Exped airbed. They roll up smaller than the average airbed although the suggested Coleman sounds tiny. Although expensive, I’ve never had a bad sleep with mine, even in snowy / freezing (UK) conditions.
    http://www.exped.com/new-zealand/en/product-category/mats

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

+1 to this. I have the Exped 9 which is 9cm thick and I got the extra long and wide version and it was a revelation to sleep on after using standard airbeds for years. For the first time I was truly warm because no cold was coming through from the ground, I actually needed less layers because of it.

The 9LW does fill half a pannier bag but it’s worth it when it’s cold.

@elleon2wheels said:
    If you plan on camping a lot or in cold conditions, I’d highly recommend a down-filled Exped airbed. They roll up smaller than the average airbed although the suggested Coleman sounds tiny. Although expensive, I’ve never had a bad sleep with mine, even in snowy / freezing (UK) conditions.
    http://www.exped.com/new-zealand/en/product-category/mats

OldBeer
    Participant

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    +1 to this. I have the Exped 9 which is 9cm thick and I got the extra long and wide version and it was a revelation to sleep on after using standard airbeds for years. For the first time I was truly warm because no cold was coming through from the ground, I actually needed less layers because of it.

The 9LW does fill half a pannier bag but it’s worth it when it’s cold.

Thanks @elleon2wheels and @eddieb, will bear that one in mind. I’m definitely not going to do hardcore camping…. Would think about something like that if I decide I can handle the whole camping thing.

So consensus seems to be I have the minimum list more or less right. Will go from there.

OldBeer
    Participant

Coleman airbed failed on third night….since replaced!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.