fbpx

Adventure Riding NZ

New Zealand's Adventure Riding community, free GPS track downloads, forums, and more!

Bike Week NZ 2014

Home Forums Riding Events, get togethers and ride reports Bike Week NZ 2014

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BikeWeekNZ
    Participant

The third annual Bike Week @ Bannockburn is on from 1st to 7th February 2014. Great adventure (and road) rides in the Central Otago area. For more information visit the website, or to register, download the attached registration form.

Carl
    Participant

Yep, with the DB1k moving dates I’ve signed up to attend the bike week adventure rides this round.
    You going again Eddie?

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

Since moving to Hamilton it’s not looking likely that I will be able to get there, which i’m gutted about. With the extra distance meaning 2 extra days of travel to get there and back it makes it a lot more of a commitment.

Carl
    Participant

Totally understand, if it wasn’t for all the expense and planning around having to get a ferry I’d do more NI stuff myself, but crikey that bit of water is a time and money consuming PITA.

Russell John Bowden
    Participant

I bought myself a spot the very hour rego opened, without really having properly counted what it was going to cost (would set me back $1600-2600 depending on detours & mods) and I just can’t justify spending that much for a 2 day ride.
    Is anyone planning to go who hasn’t bought their rego yet? I paid $115, I’d take $100.

Cheers.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Crikey. What detours and mods did uou think you needed?

Russell John Bowden
    Participant

I banged up a rough list of things, i don’t have access to the complete list since I’m on my phone, but here’s v1.0

Bare minimum:

Entry $115 (Paid) inter island ferry $220 ret. 1 set of cheap knobbies $250 Food 5 days x $60/day = $300 Accommodation. 3 nights Avg. 70/night $210 (No backpackers there, but can stay for free in WGTN with mates on first & last night) Fuel: Travel 3000KM/18 =222x$2.15=($358) AKL-Alexandra with no detour, straight up state highway the whole way. (20 hours~) DB1K 1000km/12? =83Lx$2.20=($183) $550?

$1600. without even a beer.

Stuff I should have but could neglect:

heavier shock oil & regas for normal handling $50 Tank bag (snacks, small tools, camera, spare water,loose things) $140 Tool tube. -$45 GPS – $150 Mirrors that fold away -$70 (procycle.us) camelback water bladder. $80 get better knobbies instead of shitters $100 Fuel to take some backroads there and back. – $120. (18/1000?=55L*2.15=119) Have a few beers with some cats $30-???,??? Take a couple of extra days Food $50/day x 2days $100 Accom. $60 2 nights in backpackers $120 Extra $1005.

$2600 for 5 days, only 2 of which ar

Russell John Bowden
    Participant

`Are challenging.

too much money for too little time, I’d rather spend just 4x thatand buy something in Asia and ride it to europe over a few months, or across south America again.

It’s too bad, since it looks like am amazing event if i lived in the south island I’d jump all over it.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

Last year the campground 2 minutes walk from the rally was doing tent spots for $10 a night, thats what I did. It’s summer so bloody hot there. You can use the tent on the way down too if need be, there’s lots of $2 DOC campsites
    Get your own breakfast supplies from the supermarket and have cereal at the campground kitchen saving heaps, make and pack your own lunch.

Scratch the spring, the foldaway mirrors(WTF?), and GPS take a paper map. Bungy a day pack on the back seat with a home made lunch bought from the supermarket.

You could do it cheaper than you think I reckon and throw in a few interesting diversions both ways for minimal extra gas outlay. I can recommend a route,

Carl
    Participant

Looks like Russell is talking DB1k, Russell you should look at the Bike Week in Bannockburn instead, it’s a whole week and is what this thread is about. DB1k is not the same thing being the 2 day 1000k ride you mentioned which is actually based from Fairlie, not Alexandra.

Bike week in Bannockburn is a week long social with several shorter day rides out over similar terrain as the DB1k returning to bannockburn each afternoon as far as i can tell. It also has other entertainment in the evenings etc etc.

I hear one of the NI groups coming down has a spare bed in a house they’d like to fill if anyone is looking.
    Contact Marion-Louise Houghton on FAcebook to see if it’s taken again yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.