fbpx

No products in the cart.

Home Forums General Discussion Site Stuff Bloody Spammers

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Eddieb 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Eddieb
    Keymaster

My apologies for the spam everyone got this morning from user Astou4U, I got the same message too. The user has now been deleted.

This was not a hacking incident and our user database and user email addresses have not been compromised.

The spammer used a feature of the website that allows a personal message to be sent to all users, and when a user receives a message via the website an email is automatically generated by the website to inform the user they have a new message.

Adventure Riding NZ gets up to 40 spam registration attempts every day, thats up to 14,000 per year!
    We have a number of different mechanisms in place to try and weed spammers out before they can create any havoc but nothing is ironclad and impenetrable, especially if we want real users to be able to register and use the site relatively easily and without huge delays in the process.

I know one spammer getting through is one too many, but 1 out of 14,000 is a very low percentage and I’m happy we have kept it that low so far.

If you see or receive any spam posts or messages let us know and we’ll deal with it asap.

Thanks and apologies again

Eddie

Attachments:

Darren Godden
    Participant

Cheers Ed. She sounds genuine though! Yeah right.

Kyle Matthews
    Participant

What its not real?!!! But Astou and I have something special.

Jimmy With 2 Eyes
    Participant

Oh I see just sent you a message about this eh’…………………..

Attachments:

Hadrian Haine
    Participant
    • Bike: 08 Husaberg FE 450 and a classic 86 Honda XLR250R

Keep up the good work Edward. If the only way a spammer can get through is to register as a user then you’re doing a good job. I can’t believe that after going to the time to register they would send such an obvious smap msg. Bahaha, I’ll send you pictures… lot of love… bahahahar.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

I’ve had anecdotal reports that a spammer has registered and is messaging people again, if you have received one of these messages please send me the username that sent the message and they will be deleted immediately.

Gremlin
    Participant

Being in IT, I know your pain well. We have several private mail servers for our clients, processing thousands of emails a day, and spam is still around 80% of the total.

As a mod on KB, I’m also blocking spammers there (at one point it was more than 50 a day), but KB has open registration, so it’s after the fact. Actually, similar to that, perhaps consider limiting messaging until they have a few posts on the forum? Just stops them trying to script a pile of dribble.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

So we had another one of these over night

If you received a message or email from a user “docroberto” with a subject “get driving license, passport, IELTS, IDP, TOEFL, Whatsapp + 16465987593 ([email protected])” my apologies, the post and user have been removed.

As with the case above this was a spammer that manually registered to the site and sent out messages to members.

The only way to stop someone manually doing this is to disable all automatic registration and manually review every single membership request. Given that we can easily get 50 requests a day this isn’t feasible.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

We had another one this morning that posted a bunch of spam topics for little blue pills, hair loss creams and things. All the topics have been removed and I’ve updated our naughty words list to include all the brand names of those pills I can think of.

Eddieb
    Keymaster

The website is being targeted by spammers again though I don’t think any have managed to get through this time. We are getting 50 to 100 spam registration attempts daily which we are blocking, occasionally however this might also affect a real user.

If you are having issues with registering please email us at [email protected]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.