No products in the cart.

Home Forums Bikes BMW BMW g650 xchallenge (because X)

This topic contains 67 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Defire Brassfield 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

This wee beauty deserves her own category. No nonsense, terribly reliable, lightweight and grunty. There are not too many of us 650X owners here in NZ (and even less who own the xchallenge instead of the more whale-like xcountry or the hyperactive xmoto for the road), so loud and proud owners! Pics and info here, plus we started up a FB page for just 650x owners in NZ. Don’t hate, appreciate!

Eddieb
    Keymaster
    • Bike: Suzuki DR650 ADV

@pablo_sosa (@pampa_nz) has a very nicely sorted X Challenge with dakar style fairing, different forks etc. Hopefully he’ll join in and show some pics.

octopusenvy
    Participant
    • Bike: 2102 Husaberg FE570 Rally Australia Bike, 2007 BMW 650 x-Challenge, 2009 Buell XP Ulysses Police Duty (1 of 137)

<cite>@eddieb said:</cite>
    @pablo_sosa (@pampa_nz) has a very nicely sorted X Challenge with dakar style fairing, different forks etc. Hopefully he’ll join in and show some pics.

Cool, I was trying to track him down! Not sure if he uses fb, but hopefully can join our small X owners group there. I’ve seen a picture of his rally raid on a ride maybe last year? He as the tall rally fairing right? Lives in Palmy or the lower north island?

Pablo Sosa
    Participant

Hi mate don’t use fb have adv http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664876 and here of course . Good idea about forum i recently meet two other guys that Park near my work that own them.

Pablo Sosa
    Participant

Btw i live indeed NI and have tall screen made by Mindaugas from Slovenia. I built the bracket which survived the dusty but challenge section. I’m still planning to make it better.

Pablo Sosa
    Participant

Loaded X

octopusenvy
    Participant

<cite>@pablo_sosa said:</cite>
    Btw i live indeed NI and have tall screen made by Mindaugas from Slovenia. I built the bracket which survived the dusty but challenge section. I’m still planning to make it better.

Nice to finally find you Pablo. Hope one day we can ride together. There’s a guy who has a really nice carbon-wrapped xchallenge in welly. He’s new but nice, named Stefan. Think he’s german? Shame you don’t use fb, as that is where the NZ 650x challenge page is. But I know about the ADVrider one, all 530pages and counting!

As for the Mindaugas fairing, I have one of those! But I decided to go a different direction. Would be cool if you had the templates for your tower etc. I might sell the fairing as I’ve decided to go with a Britannia. I wanted something less heavy and less expensive (Mindegaus fairing is not too expensive but add lights and tower etc and it adds up). I paid $800NZD for the complete Lynx R fairing, 12v and usb socket, HID lights etc

So if u know anyone who wants a cheap rally fairing…i got it. Hope u don’t ever damage yours, but I have a spare if u do 🙂

Pablo Sosa
    Participant

haven’t met him, nor the bike interesting

I did the whole think for ~500 dollars. I didn’t want Hid as don’t really do lots of night riding and plain lights are good enough for my riding (albeit two 60w ones they were around $100). I bought a sheet of aluminum and built it from there (after doing lots of cardboard drafts :D). Well ultimately perhaps spent more than that trying stuff out of ineptitude and wasting materials. Next planned step is to take a mold of the fairing and make some mods to it, I’d like it lower, further forward and more vertical.

Regarding the Britannia, I haven’t seen one on the flesh but they look nice. In my case I don’t want any extra weight on the handlebars plus like the idea of having a bigger instrument panel plus aesthetically I always liked the Dakar style faring. I think I may have the templates, at least do have some copies of some parts (did several cuts of the alloy in case it bent)

Pablo Sosa
    Participant

BTW whereabouts r u based? NI?

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@octopusenvy said: Shame you don’t use fb, as that is where the NZ 650x challenge page is. But I know about the ADVrider one, all 530pages and counting!

I don’t want to drag this off topic too much but while FB has a lot of members there’s also a lot who aren’t on there. I think at least 30-40% of the site members here are not on Facebook, and there’s 100 or so members more on here than the FB group, so confining yourself to FB does limit your audience a bit.

@pablo_sosa said:
    BTW whereabouts r u based? NI?

He’s right up North Pablo, 90 mile beach. Pablo is in Wellington. There are options in your profile to update that. Click on your name on the right, then on profile and you can update your bike and location.

octopusenvy
    Participant

<cite>@pablo_sosa said:</cite>
    Loaded X

I recognise that fairing! looks good mate and glad you have the same one in case the spare fairing in my shed ever gets used 🙂

I will let u know about the britannia when it arrives, but smaller and lighter than the Mindegaus and can drop the clear screen when I want. Seems good, but time will tell. Keep in touch even tho I’m at the opposite end of the North Island from you! I plan on doing a summer trip in the south island with the X, so watch this space…

Stefan Becker
    Participant

hey guys,stefan the german here;)good to see a XC blog going on.

Attachments:

Scott Baxter
    Participant

Ian Reed and Darren Godden both have X challenges. They make me want to get one. Much faster than my bike. They are on the FB site adv ride nz.

Stefan Becker
    Participant

cheers scott,darren is already in that group,…could you send ian a link from that group,cant msg him since were not friends… https://www.facebook.com/groups/1603387323208524/

Eddieb
    Keymaster

@ian_reed & @facebook-bantaboy (Darren Godden) are both members here.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.